My $100.00 1878-CC Morgan pick from Friday.

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by jtlee321, May 1, 2016.

1. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

Yes, leave her alone! Those new pictures help. I will say MS-62 as I see no wear.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm currently going to leave her be.

4. Mike Thorne

Mike Thorne Well-Known Member

Oh, that can happen. Many years ago I sent ANACS a large cent I had purchased as a near-gem coin. This was back in the days of certification with a photo of the back and front of the coin. Anyway, it came back as AU55/55 (they also graded both sides independently). I sent it back with a letter asking them to point out the wear on the coin, as I couldn't see it. It was returned to me with a new grade, MS60. So it went from a lightly circulated piece to one that was an incredibly beat-up uncirculated coin. Years later I sent the same coin to PCGS. It came back MS64 Brown, which is the grade I had purchased.

Paul M. and Bman33 like this.
  5. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

I heard from a dealer that ANACS is the most stringent of the third party graders. In your experience do you agree?

6. Mike Thorne

Mike Thorne Well-Known Member

It's impossible to answer that question for most of the certification services, and particularly for ANACS, because of all the changes in its ownership and graders working for it. I have had eBay buyers tell me that they particularly look for ANACS coins in the old, small holders, as they're usually conservatively graded.

Paul M. and rzage like this.
  7. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

I think that sometimes toning like this will mimic a change in color and make a coin seem like it has slight rub or wear and less luster , obviously an AU coin can't become an MS coin from a dip but a dip can make it easier to read . I'd of left this coin alone but that's what I love about coins as everyone likes something different .

Paul M. likes this.
  8. jtlee321

I debated leaving the coin alone. But in hand, that toning did nothing but hurt the coin in my opinion. That toning was so bad, it was the reason why I got it so cheap to begin with. I figured even if it turned out to be a dud, I should absolutely be able to get my money back.

9. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

You did the right thing. I probably would have too if I were inclined to purchase that coin. Some (very few) coins just need a good dip, and that was one of them.

10. Nycmacman

Nycmacman Active Member

This turned out way better than I could have expected congrats! Looked at before I think you'll have a 62, it has to many deep marks on the cheek for a 63

11. jtlee321

I agree with you on the 62.

Draft saved Draft deleted