My $100.00 1878-CC Morgan pick from Friday.

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by jtlee321, May 1, 2016.

1. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

Here is a Morgan Dollar I picked up on Friday. I asked the dealer how much he was asking on it and he quoted me $100.00. So I bought it. I could see the underlying luster beneath the ugly toning going on. I decided to give her a bath.

Here are the before photos..
    1878-CC-Morgan-Dollar-Obverse-Before.jpg 1878-CC-Morgan-Dollar-Reverse-Before.jpg

Here is the after photos.
    1878-CC-Morgan-Dollar-Obverse.jpg 1878-CC-Morgan-Dollar-Reverse.jpg

CoinZone, dwhiz, C-B-D and 3 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

Wow, that is quite the improvement. What did you use?

I don't quite know how to interpret your photos, but I am thinking AU-58 or MS-62.

4. jtlee321

I want to say it's MS-62 to MS-63. There are no breaks in the luster. Part of what you see in the fields is a little remnant of the toning along with what reminds me of milk spots. I dipped it in EZ-Est, I could have probably dipped it longer in hopes of getting rid of more of the residue of the ugly toning, but I did not want to over dip the coin.

5. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Nice job. You sending it in?

6. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

My call is 62. The reverse and being a cc could bump it a point tho

Cascade likes this.
  7. jtlee321

I have it listed for sale right now. If I get no bites, then I'll probably submit it. I'm not doing this thread as an ad for the coin. Just getting feelings and opinions to see if you think it's an MS62 - MS63 as well.

8. jtlee321

I figured a $100 was a no brainer to take a chance on. I think I did pretty good.

9. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

VAM-17, for the record. Liberty comments on the mote in others' eyes while ignoring the beam in hers. :)

I fear the incomplete removal of prior toning is quite plain here, and could not imagine it straight-grading.

10. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

MS62 and well bought at $100.

11. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

I'm new to collecting and I was just curious as to how long in seconds did you dip the coin?

12. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

I'm not 100% sure it's MS, but you've got it in-hand, so I defer to your opinion. But either way $100 is an absolute dynamite purchase price for a 78-CC

Paul M. likes this.
  13. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

I think you got a 62 or 63 there. For $100, you made a good kill.

14. jtlee321

Here's a few more images of the obverse which is by far the worst shape. The lighting is far from flattering, but gives you a good idea of the luster there as well as the film that is left behind.

Sample-1.jpg Sample-2.jpg Sample-3.jpg

15. jtlee321

As far as dipping the coin. I did three 4 second dips straight into the jar of EZ-Est.

If those of you who are more experienced at dipping, think the film will come off with additional dipping without burning out the luster, let me know. I always try to be very conservative when it comes to dipping.

16. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

It all depends on what strength dip you're using . I dilute mine with distilled water to 1/3 strength , I even have 1/4 strength which I use the most. If using full strength E Zest I wouldn't hold her in more than 2 seconds . You never know how many times the coin has been dipped before and the shortest dip possible to achieve what you want is prudent as if dipped before you can render it luster less in 2 seconds . Though I think the op got a great deal I wouldn't of dipped this coin as I feel it looked fine before . Remember to practice on common date dimes or Kennedys and do at least one coin as many times till you strip all the luster , you'll be amazed how a coin that looks like it has full cartwheel luster will have it's luster suddenly disappear with one more dip .

micbraun and Paul M. like this.
  17. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

I think the way it looks right now is a big improvement over when you started. If it were me, I'd quit here.

rzage likes this.
  18. jtlee321

I'm in a bit of an agreement with you Paul. I thinks it looks much better than it did prior to the dip. That fugly toning was really making the coin look horrible. It was the reason the dealer gave the coin to me for such a good deal.

I would love to get some of the milky film areas off, but I don't want to kill the coin doing it. I'd rather leave it the way it is then to strip the luster that is there. She cartwheels all the way around on both the obverse and reverse with no breaks.

19. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

You only dipped her once correct? If so I'd dip her 1 more time in a weak solution of ezest mixing it 50/50 with distilled water if it were mine. In & out quick style.

20. Mike Thorne

Mike Thorne Well-Known Member

I would not dip it again! I would have graded the original coin AU something, but obviously my opinion changed after I saw the dipped piece. Has to be a great buy, but leave it alone now.

Paul M. likes this.
  21. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

How can it be AU then magically change to BU with a dip?

My concern is it won't straight grade unless you risk 1 more diluted dip. However, I think J is trying to sell raw so if he gets a bite great but if it sits for a while he may have to either reduce price or risk the dip again.

Draft saved Draft deleted