Must Have St. Gauden

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by ed wood 654, Apr 23, 2017.

1. ed wood 654

ed wood 654 Grader & Entrepreneur /Aviation Executive

How many collectors are out there that don't have a St Gauden Double Eagle? Seem like a mandatory addition to any collection.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

I'd say tons of collectors don't have one, but would probably appreciate having one. A double eagle isn't exactly a cheap purchase for most people.

NSP, Jaja78 and spirityoda like this.
  4. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

I don't think there's such a thing as a mandatory addition to a collection. All collections are different as are all collectors. Some concentrate on one issue. Others go after toners. Still others concentrate on Lincolns or Buffaloes or silver dollars and VAMs. The list is endless. They probably have no interest in gold at all.

The St. Gaudens is a desirable coin, for sure. But it's not the only $20 gold minted. I like the Liberty double eagle at least just as much.

5. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

There is no such thing as a mandatory addition to a collection. I don't have a Saint Gaudens $20 but I'm a YN and can't afford to put down $1400+ for one. And many other collectors cannot either.

I could get 16 AU half dimes for the same price. Or 7 UNCs. Or 4 MS-64s.

Santinidollar likes this.
  6. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

And here I thought the mandatory coin was an Alexander Tet.

ColonialCoin4 and calcol like this.
  7. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

A single St Gaudens would darn near double the value of my collection. Mandatory? Um, no.

charlietig and Kentucky like this.
  8. CoinZone

CoinZone Active Member

I have a Ellender St Gaudens. The rarest coin....

9. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

I love them.
    Buy as many as you can as close to spot as you can in AU+ condition or better.
    And only when spot is at a reasonable amount.
    :)

10. KSorbo

KSorbo Well-Known Member

A Saint would be very far down on my list. Not only would it blow most of my year's budget, but it is a common generic coin that is expensive due to its metal content. I could get some really exotic type coins or even a pattern for that kind of money.

Santinidollar likes this.
  11. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

I think the 1 ounce AGE is better. The fresh design is more eye appealing than a low grade Double Eagle.

12. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Hmmm, have a few, circs, BU, mintmarked, etc. Crazily enough I like the overall eye appeal of the Libs better though, particularly when they are high grade.

13. calcol

calcol Supporter! Supporter

Nah, it's an old-style Athenian owl. :)

Cal

Kentucky likes this.
  14. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Careful, fellas... next thing we know he may post a photo of the Farouk example claiming he just scored it at the local shop.

15. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...I'll accept that.

Draft saved Draft deleted