museum of london (roman coins)

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by crowbaby, Jul 17, 2012.

1. crowbaby

crowbaby Member

I went to see the 43 22ct gold roman coins. The coins are in mint condition and date from ad64 nero to ad174 aurelius. They was found about 10 years by joe severn. The british land co donated them to the museum of london. It was impossible to take photo.s as the lighting was so bad. Flash is not permitted. Photos are permitted but someone who works there did ask me why i was taking photos. Other coins was hard to see due to bad lighting and bad placement. Not recommended for a visit. Better off with the british museum.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

I went to the Getty Villa here in l.a and had the same issue in the coin section. Was annoying. Still its nice to see eitherway.

4. largecent37

largecent37 Coin Collector

I agree, the British Museum is amazing! Never saw the coins but the Rosetta Stone was awesome!

5. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

6. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

^I read about that. It looks pretty cool to see too.

Shame there is nothing like that here in the u.s. other then usual history museums. And no I have never been to the ANA money museum.

7. crowbaby

crowbaby Member

I will go look at that citi money galle Photo0645.jpg ry, Chris. sounds interesting.

8. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

0IMG_2673b.jpg

I realize the British Museum has thousands of better coins not on display but it still hurts when they feel the best use for a group of ordinary aurei is to pile them up to make the point that they took them as Treasure from some finder who could have sold them to collectors. If the things are really 'Treasure' they should at least get spread out so we can see them.

9. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Eye appeal for non collectors I guess.

10. moneyer12

moneyer12 i just love UK coins.......

if any of you ever visit york and manchester the coin galleries in their museums are superb, well lit and photography is quite easy, in york they have a pair of dyes from the viking occupation of the city.

11. crowbaby

crowbaby Member

I have been thinking of visiting manchester, I will visit museums there when i go.

Draft saved Draft deleted