Multiple coins, same die

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by JustMyType, May 5, 2016.

1. JustMyType

JustMyType New Member

Does anybody place a premium on having multiple coins that were struck from the same die?

For example, I just picked up three 1955-S cents which all share the same reverse die. I know this because all three coins share very pronounced, identical, die polish lines.

I didn't pay any extra (they were not being sold as a set). I just got them as an artifact of the minting process.

Thanks for any comments/views.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. noname

noname Well-Known Member

4. Thomas56

Thomas56 New Member

Thanks for any comments/views.

5. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Just a neat curiosity to me. With enough coins you can track die states. Perhaps more interesting is a progression of die breaks or struck thru errors. Unless major, even these do not seem to have much extra value but higher interest to collectors.

One useful thing about matching die states is you can often tell if a roll of coins is original and not put together.:)

tommyc03, Paul M. and JustMyType like this.
  6. noname

noname Well-Known Member

What?

7. JustMyType

JustMyType New Member

I can't post pics right now (I'm not at home)

My question was really more in the general sense, not for these coins specifically. There is nothing intrinsically special about a few 1955 S cents.

I'm drawing a bead on another set of four coins all with die polish lines that are clearly identical. I'm just wondering if there is any motive to keep them together as a set?

8. JustMyType

JustMyType New Member

You make a good point about verifying that a roll is original.

The odds of 50 coins from a high mintage issue coming back together in a roll are pretty slim if they didn't all start out together.

9. JustMyType

JustMyType New Member

I guess for very low mintage coins, every die pairing gets scrutinized. That would also make it easier to match up multiple coins from the same set of dies.

For high mintage coins like Lincoln cents, if the coins didn't stay together from the start, they would have to have a pretty pronounced defect like die doubling, or a cud, in order to notice that multiple coins shared the same die.

10. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

@JustMyType
    I would think if there was a PUP (Pick-up Point) like the polishing marks that didn't represent more than one die state, then the coins wouldn't be worth much unless another collector had coins with the same PUP representing a different die state.

For example, I have about three dozen GA SQ's that all have the same kidney-shaped die chip on Washington's neck. These coins also have a particular die crack that begins on the base of the neck at the designer's initials (Die State #1) and extends, both, to the left and to the right in various stages that represent Die State #2-Die State #6.

Regardless, these coins I have would still only be worth what someone is willing to pay for them.

Chris

Insider and Paul M. like this.
  11. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Personally, I would not pay any premium for them

12. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

The unfortunate fact is that most anything can bring additional premiums if to the "right" (meaning "wrong") buyer, but generally speaking, a few 55-S cents (or other still extremely common coins) displaying nothing truly noteworthy, no...

13. brandon spiegel

brandon spiegel Brandon Spiegel

I do not know much about dies, but I think that's cool, I would pay a bit more than normal (I do not know how much)

14. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

IMHO it would make for an interesting project for someone in a coin club, in particular a newbie, and if done properly would also make for a good learning tool, and help others learn more about the minting process.

Paul M. likes this.
  15. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

It would depend on the variety (die pair) and if you had several coins that showed a progression of the die state.

16. okbustchaser

okbustchaser I may be old but I still appreciate a pretty bust Supporter

I not only would, but I have paid a premium for a later die state example of a coin from this die.
    O-106 obverse die
    [​IMG]
    O-127 same obverse die--different reverse die
    [​IMG]
    The second die pair is worth about 5 and a half times the first in the same grade.

tommyc03 likes this.
  17. okbustchaser

Double post

Last edited: May 5, 2016
  18. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

In some cases, sure... but we're talking about 55-S cents displaying nothing more than polishing here. Anyone paying a premium based solely upon that is, and with all due respect, a fool.

cpm9ball likes this.
  19. okbustchaser

At the other end of the spectrum this obverse
    [​IMG]
    paired with this reverse die is about a 500 coin in AU.
    [​IMG]
    However, the same obverse die paired with this reverse
    [​IMG]
    would be about 70 thousand dollars in AU. (By the way, I DO NOT own the later pairing)

Draft saved Draft deleted