Mughal coin??

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Mukremin, Mar 30, 2010.

1. Mukremin

Mukremin Junior Member

thanks man, its a small but wonderful coin. its hard to read right? i will make description of it right away. Kingdom of Jaunpur, amazing...

ill get that book soon.
    and the other coins? the last one seems also from the ilkhanate

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Zuhara

Zuhara Junior Member

It is hard to read at first, but then it makes sense if you have an idea of what you are looking for to begin with. The photos help too :).

The other coins are also Ilkhanid. The first one says only Mohammed rasul Allah which isn't much to go on, but the script is Ilkhanid, and so is the arrangement, with the name of name of Uthman (of the first four caliphs) at the bottom of the coin.

The second one is a coin of Taghay Timur (Tuga Timur Han), 1338-1351/737-754. Says "es-Sultan ul-alem Tuga Timur Han”, so that is pretty certain. There are examples of his coins over on Mehmet Eti's site.

Thanks for posting them!

4. Mukremin

Mukremin Junior Member

i am confused now lol :D i got noted the Jaunpur coin, the last coin under Jaunpur coin is from Taghay Timur right?

the second part coins are ilkhanate to? and how about the 2 coins at post 17? the one with the circle in it.

5. Zuhara

Zuhara Junior Member

Sorry I was not clear enough: the coins I am talking about are all in the third group (from post number 19). The first is the Jaunpur coin, and the last coin under that is the Taghay Timur coin, just as you say. The coin in between them is also Ilkhanid. That's what I meant. I hope I am being clear? If not, please ask me and I will try again!

I will talk about the coins in the other posts in a separate post so it doesn't get all confused:)

6. Zuhara

Zuhara Junior Member

The coin I am talking about here is from post 17. It is the Indian one with the circle in it. It is a coin of Mohammed II ibn Tugluq (1324-1351). Richard Plant goes on about this coin for over a page, he really likes it. It is quite complex, with Arabic and Persian inscriptions.

7. Mukremin

Mukremin Junior Member

thanks zuhara, youve been a wonderful help really :D
    maybe you can put the post 17 and 18 description here. because i have 3-4 other arabic coins to upload. i will wait with them, or i can send them by email if its easier. if you can send me an email to : sehzade_mukremin@hotmail.com i will reply with the pictures.

mohammed II ibn tugluq? the famous ruler of delhi wow, ill note that. does the richard plant book give value indication?

8. Zuhara

Zuhara Junior Member

You are most welcome. It is quite interesting for me to see all of these.

Yes that is the one, Mohammed II ibn Tugluq. The book doesn't give any prices, and they would now be out of date in any case, since the book is from 1973. But once you have the identifications, you can check online for prices of similar coins, unless someone here has any ideas about valuations.

I have to go out for a while so it will be a while before I look at the coins in posts 17 and 18. I will e-mail you, but you might also want to post the new ones here in case others know more.

9. shariqkhan

shariqkhan Junior Member

[​IMG]

This is from Juanpur Sultanate(Kingdom) from Indian

10. Mukremin

Mukremin Junior Member

yeah, the thing is that i didnt do any research on these coins. I bought them from a guy i know since i was a kid. I always thought they were fake coins etc. But now thanks to you we know a lot more about it. I will upload the other coins here, and that will conclude it for now. Because i dont have any more left except 50+ ottoman coins :D and hundreds of world coins from 1850 to 2005.

Attached Files:

11. shariqkhan

shariqkhan Junior Member

[​IMG]
    This coin is of Tughlaq from India

12. shariqkhan

shariqkhan Junior Member

[​IMG]

This coin is from Abbasid Dynasty(Arab)

13. Mukremin

Mukremin Junior Member

here goes more,

BTW thanks shariqkhan, i need more experts here :D check the beautiful coins, credits to zuhara for his help. here are more coins. stay tuned

Attached Files:

14. Mukremin

Mukremin Junior Member

shariqkhan, which caliph is that abbasid coin of? can you identify please, i posted both sides

15. shariqkhan

shariqkhan Junior Member

16. Zuhara

Zuhara Junior Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think the above might be an Umayyad bronze, similar to this one below. The inscriptions in the fields of the obverse (La illaha illa Allah wahdahu) and reverse (Muhammed rasul Allah) are the same. I can't make out the margins however:

Islamic, Umayyad, Anonymous (post reform), 77 - 132 H, 696 - 750 A.D.
    [​IMG][​IMG]12568. Bronze fals, Walker 850 var, gVF, weight 3.189 g, maximum diameter 20.6 mm, die axis 0o, Al-Ramla mint, 77 - 132 H, 696 - 750 A.D.; obverse arabic script within double circle with striations; reverse arabic script and palm-branch within circle, arabic script around; nice desert patina; SOLD
    http://www.forumancientcoins.com/catalog/roman-and-greek-coins.asp?vpar=1288&pos=0&sold=1

17. Zuhara

Zuhara Junior Member

18. Mukremin

Mukremin Junior Member

wow thanks, excellent. He is Saladins son right? the other coin looks really like it, i have another coin exactly like that. both are in nice desert patina.

19. Zuhara

Zuhara Junior Member

You are welcome :smile, they are great coins. Yes, Saladin's son. I love the Umayyad bronze coins too, something used as money from almost the earliest years.

edit: This site has examples of the different mints:

http://islamiccoins.ancients.info/umayyads/umayyadcaliphs.htm#falus

20. Zuhara

Zuhara Junior Member

Attached Files:

21. Mukremin

Mukremin Junior Member

hmm, it looks like almost all Umayyad coins are similair to each other. And they dont seem as advanced as the abbasid ones, propably because they are older?

Draft saved Draft deleted