MS70 on common coins?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by GH#75, May 12, 2020.

1. tmoneyeagles

tmoneyeagles Indian Buffalo Gatherer

I was waiting for you to slide in this thread and make that point.

The most dastardly example that comes to mind are Bust Halves. Finding original, high grade Bust Halves can be a fool's errand sometimes, but many of them, of course, have been properly cleaned.

I've always seen the properly/improperly cleaned dichotomy as similar to market acceptable toning. There is a degree of cleaning that the majority of numismatists will seem to accept, and the same is true for some rainbows here and there. Now as for why we accept 18th and 19th century gold with hairlines running all over the place as "original" is beyond me.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. tmoneyeagles

tmoneyeagles Indian Buffalo Gatherer

That's an interesting point, seeing as though NGC brands their coins with the "Improperly Cleaned" label.

Robert Ransom likes this.
  4. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, this is almost a fools errand. I have seen many comments from reputable individuals who claim all coins, prior to some year, have been cleaned in some fashion because it is what was done in the days of yore.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  5. Robert Ransom

Unfortunately, this will never happen. Their services would suffer and we would be back to buying coins in two by two's.

6. Jeffjay

Jeffjay Well-Known Member

I recall several years back a guy I would see at local coin shows that had hundreds of coins were all glimmering white. After seeing him only five or six times he was never seen again. Probably figured out why nobody was buying his stuff.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  7. whopper64

whopper64 Well-Known Member

Has anyone ever used a silver jewelry polishing cloth on their silver coins? Just wondering.

8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Heaven forbid!!!

9. Robert Ransom

Yikes!!!

Collecting Nut likes this.
  10. Collecting Nut

Oh the horrors....

11. Robert Ransom

Gadzooks!!!

12. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

Interesting that the MS70 bottle says "safe for copper" yet it turns copper coins blue and purple. I guess it depends on your definition of "safe?" :D

I would never use anything like that on a coin that I cared even a little bit about. It might be fun to experiment on worthless coins just to see what the stuff does, but that's as far as I would ever go, and I doubt that I would ever even go that far.

Cheech9712 and Robert Ransom like this.
  13. Robert Ransom

I had a bunch (97) of extremely worn buffalo nickels. I used 'Nic-a-Date' to restore the date and mint mark. I found no, "Gee, I wish they were AU's or MS's" in the lot and no key dates either, but it was fun.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  14. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Properly cleaned means you can't detect it, so shouldn't they just put it on all coins?

Insider, Cheech9712 and Robert Ransom like this.
  15. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

To give a full answer, a polishing cloth contains abrasives that will scratch the bejebers out of a surface. If you don't see it, use side light and tilt the object back and forth to see all the tiny scratch marks.

16. Collecting Nut

I've done the same and I found a very worn, obviously to use nic a date, 1916 Buffalo over date. I figure since they're worn and have no date you can't hurt them. Yes it creates damage but what's one to do?

17. Robert Ransom

Exactly my point and you can answer the obvious question of why you did it in the first place.

18. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Got it. Thanks

19. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

I'm glad you did. So a car has a couple of dents. If it runs. Its still a car

Robert Ransom and Collecting Nut like this.
  20. Collecting Nut

I gots to know (the date on that coin).

21. Collecting Nut

Ya got me laughing hard again girl!

Draft saved Draft deleted