MS69 vs. MS70

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by yakpoo, Mar 2, 2010.

1. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

This is why I talk about maximizing the quality-to-price ratio. I would rather buy at a grade where the quality increase is significant while the price increase is marginal.

For example, if the increase in quality between AU-50 and AU-58 is 200% with a 50% price increase, and a 58 to 63 offers 10% quality increase for 500%, price increase, I would go for the AU-58.

69 to 70 has a 0.1% quality increase for a 300% price increase. Not worth the bump IMO.

Santinidollar and Paddy54 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Rick Crissman

Rick Crissman New Member

Through 5Xs, 10X's, 20X's and 40X's I looked at two NGC Silver Kennedys. One was PF-69 and the other was PF-70. The mirrored surface on both coins was perfect. The raised areas of the PF-69 was also perfect under all levels of zoom. The PF-70 had 3 scratches. One was visable at 5X's but the other 2 needed 10X's or higher. The PF-70 also had far more darkness from weaker strike in the hair along the part line on Kennedy's head. The PF-70 had a starting invoice number of 481. The PF-69 was one I had graded after owning the PF-70. My invoice number started with 471. My intent was to upgrade from a PF-70 to a nicer PF-70. NGC degraded my perfect coin. I feel with the invoice number being lower, it was code to give a better grade to a really good long term NGC customer. Do I live with the nicer PF-69 or do I sell the PF-69 just because NGC said it was better?

4. Rick Crissman

Rick Crissman New Member

5. Max Tonnage

Max Tonnage New Member

I totally disagree with the sentiment of the commentators here. I also notice that most are 10+ years old. I am a collector and I won't go near anything less than 70
    grade. I value my collection far more than putting just any old condition coin in it.
    If you have buyers looking to buy then they can have the 69s and below, get them out of the way. Real collectors want only the very best and are willing to pay for it.
    That's why we really only buy from like-minded individuals.

6. Max Tonnage

Max Tonnage New Member

7. Max Tonnage

Max Tonnage New Member

I totally disagree with the sentiment of the commentators here. I also notice that most are 10+ years old. I am a collector and I won't go near anything less than 70
    grade. I value my collection far more than putting just any old condition coin in it.
    If you have buyers looking to buy then they can have the 69s and below, get them out of the way. Real collectors want only the very best and are willing to pay for it.
    That's why we really only buy from like-minded individuals.

8. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

you are trolling a 10 year old thread?

9. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

You must be buying silver eagle bullion coins. Grading and slabbing those is brain-dead collecting.

Draft saved Draft deleted