MS69 vs. MS70

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by yakpoo, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Kip Caven

Kip Caven Member

I just pre ordered TEN ASE's for $18.50 each from govmint.com

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. thetracer

thetracer Active Member

I am sitting here looking at 2 NGC MS-69s (1993 and 1999). I got them along with other years in raw UNC, in Littleton ShowPaks, and a W in OGP: all for $25 each several months ago.

On both the slabbed 69s, I can see with naked eye a couple of small hits in the field -----> 69

That's the easy way to tell, if you see any mark on the coin at all, it is not a 70.

4. BioEtOH

BioEtOH Member

Not quite true when you compare the 1999 Delaware quarter silver proof PF69 versus PF70 ;-)

5. BioEtOH

BioEtOH Member

I agree to what has been said above. But if I had the money to spare, I rather opt for the set of 70s! Unfortunately, I am a 69er hehehe

midas1, illini420 and Kip Caven like this.
  6. Kip Caven

Kip Caven Member

Except for the 95 W Eagle that is a 70, I am a FIRM believer in MS69 unless I can find a 70 low enough-Other than that ONE coin, I DARE you to find enough difference to justify sometimes $50 to THOUSANDS more than a 69
    Just my opinion!

7. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

Agree Kip, but if you want to sell these coins, it doesn't hurt to market to the registry crowd that only want MS/PF 70's.

I'm not saying all registry users want 70's, just the ones who want their sets to compete for the top spots.

I don't think most people can tell the difference between a 69 and 70.

Kip Caven likes this.
  8. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

MS69 vs. MS70?

Easy:

Who submitted the coin?

9. DIRTYPAPIBEAR

DIRTYPAPIBEAR New Member

I'M NEW TO THIS GRADING THING. I SEE MS70 SILVER EAGLES ON EBAY AND THEY ARE CLOUDY OR THE CASE IS SCRATCHED. DOES THIS MAKE THEM WORTH LESS, ESPECIALLY THE CLOUDING OR TARNISHING THAT IS ALONG THE EDGES? I KNOW GOOD ENOUGH NOT TO CLEAN COINS AS THAT LOWERS THE PRICE TOO. ALSO HEARD THAT A BUYER CLAIMED THAT A CASE LOOKED AS IF IT WAS OPENED AND THEN THE COIN REPLACED WITH A LESSER QUALITY COIN, IS IT POSSIBLE TO GET INSIDE THE CASES?
    STEVE K

10. DIRTYPAPIBEAR

DIRTYPAPIBEAR New Member

I'M NEW TO THIS GRADING THING. I SEE MS70 SILVER EAGLES ON EBAY AND THEY ARE CLOUDY OR THE CASE IS SCRATCHED. DOES THIS MAKE THEM WORTH LESS, ESPECIALLY THE CLOUDING OR TARNISHING THAT IS ALONG THE EDGES? I KNOW GOOD ENOUGH NOT TO CLEAN COINS AS THAT LOWERS THE PRICE TOO. ALSO HEARD THAT A BUYER CLAIMED THAT A CASE LOOKED AS IF IT WAS OPENED AND THEN THE COIN REPLACED WITH A LESSER QUALITY COIN, IS IT POSSIBLE TO GET INSIDE THE CASES?
    STEVE K

11. Dancing Fire

Dancing Fire Junior Member

In this case no!...Nobody is gonna replace a bullion coin with a bullion coin.

12. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

I really don't see the point of graded bullion coins. I also don't see the point of typing in all caps.

13. Dancing Fire

Dancing Fire Junior Member

b/c most CT members are old...:pompous::D

14. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

I don't hear as well as I used to. I can still see. :)

Sometimes I just get closer to the monitor....

15. thetracer

thetracer Active Member

Try holding down the Ctrl key and press the + key to enlarge the words (and everything else) to see anything bigger.
    Ctrl and - (minus sign) to reduce it back.
    I love that feature and do it all the time.

16. Player11

Player11 Bullish

There can be a difference in 69's. A dog 69 I got one time had a staple scratch like mark. I returned the coin telling ebay "the item I received was of lesser quality than the item pictured." I was refunded but it burned me up the seller would send that dog. I now buy a lot from GC because I will get the coin pictured.....

Ideally a 69 may have one or two contact marks visible under magnification while a 70 has none. But if you 69 has a major tick visible.......

17. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

18. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Ms70 is a much better coin cleaner than ms69 just not as fun

19. Irem

Irem New Member

I'm a noob!! I inherited a few pieces 1980s era. Im lost other than going to a high class pawn shop - what my local "coin" resellers look like... more jewelry and misc than coins.

Need a good place to start the rehoming process and stumbled upon this site along with my musings about grading them.

20. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

There is no difference except for the holder. The TPGs just set a percentage of coins to give 70’s and 69’s. If there are any noticeable marks, you get a “junk” grade of MS-68 or lower.

MS-70 is a sham. Save your money.

21. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

That is the magic of the rise in population numbers. Prices fall as a coin is shown to be more common than previously thought.

Draft saved Draft deleted