MS69 Morgan!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by TopcatCoin, Apr 1, 2015.

1. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  2. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

one sold for 19k in 2009, the weird thing is the cert # ends in 63, which I believe it was part of a bulk submission.

3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

It's like the attack of the 50 foot women......

4. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

I don't know, I think should be graded PL-69 ..

5. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

That is one very beautiful 1880-S. I think the asking price of $552.45 is a little high for it, though.

6. Yankee42

Yankee42 Well-Known Member

Simply remarkable.

7. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

That is the cleanest Morgan I've ever seen . And it has a great strike . It was probably taken off the press by hand , amazing . Does anyone else know how many 69 Morgans there are ?

8. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

I believe there are three other 69s. This coin seems to trade hands pretty regularly.

9. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

Can you define what you mean by "pretty regularly"? I know for a fact that exact eBay seller has had that coin listed since at least November 2012.

As for total MS69 Morgans, there are 14 total in the NGC and PCGS pops:

NGC has graded a total of 5 Morgans as MS69 out of 2.97 million graded Morgans -- ALL being 1880-S, and none with PL or DPL designations.

PCGS has graded a total of 9 Morgans as MS69 out of 2.96 million graded Morgans -- 6 of them are 1880-S (one with the PL designation), 2 are 1881-S, and 1 is the 1896-S Jack Lee coin that sold for more than $402,000 back in 2005.

10. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Yeah, Jay has been sitting on that puppy for a while now.

11. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

For the conditional rarity that price doesn't sound that bad .

12. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

I saw that but I don't think it's a 69

13. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

I would think a coin like this would sit in a collection for a decade or more. Possibly one of those coins handed down generation after generation, etc...

Prior to 2012, how many other times has it been sold?

14. miedbe7

miedbe7 Wayward Collector

Are those hits in between the left (looking at) wing and wreath? Also is that a light scratch running from the obverse E across the top of the dot? Finally, what is going on on the bottom of the neck?

Even if one of these "issues" is truly on the coin, this should preclude it from a 69 grade. "Virtually as struck" I think is the terminology used for such coins. Market grading I guess?

Edit - I know I'm nitpicking here, that is a BEAUTIFUL coin!

Draft saved Draft deleted