MS65 TONED $2 1/2... wow!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by jwitten, Nov 24, 2015.

1. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

This coin tempted me. A lot. I was a strong bidder, but felt like I could not sink this much into just one $2 1/2. Maybe I should have. Terrible seller pics, but you can tell this coin has some nice reds, purples, etc.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

NSP, rzage and treylxapi47 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Do you mind my asking how much it was that you decided not to spend?

4. jwitten

Sold for $1,032, and I had 5x ebay bucks today, so would have been a little over $900. I should have done it. I'm already mad I didn't.

Markus1959 likes this.
  5. treylxapi47

treylxapi47 Well-Known Member Dealer

You dont know where the other buyer wouldve stopped though, he maybe had $1500 on it or even more. so dont beat yourself up

JPeace$, jwitten and green18 like this.
  6. treylxapi47

treylxapi47 Well-Known Member Dealer

I say this because I always do that too whenever im the underbidder, I just say to myself that the other party had deeper pockets and wanted it more than I did and try to move on. I still relive the ones i let slip by though

7. Tydot310

Tydot310 Member

Maybe you will get lucky and get a second chance offer on it.

8. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

jwitten likes this.
  9. Travlntiques

Travlntiques Well-Known Member

I placed the $210 tracer bid on it to see where she would go. The seller has been good to me in the past and to be fair I bet it could go higher with proper toning pics, but the contact rubs on the obverse seem excessive...when paired with that gash under the "F" in "OF".
    Don't know. Still glad I sniped one of 'em today :)

10. jwitten

That seller has terrible pictures. Always has. This coin might have brought another $500 with better pictures.

11. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Nicely struck obverse too .

12. Rhoowl

Rhoowl Member

The last few NGC 65 to go at auction were in the 1400 range....so there was still more room to bid up.....you don't see many toner golds...that had to add some price....but those pics were terrible.....if it had been a raw it probably would have sold for 200....

Although in the end you bid what you feel comfortable with.

13. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I'm surprised more of these don't tone out like that with all the copper in them.

14. wcoins

wcoins GEM-ber

Not accusing anyone of anything, just saying all six bids the winner put up within last 30 days went to the seller of the coin.

15. Rhoowl

Rhoowl Member

It definitely is a great coin......I'm sure he's happy with his purchase. .its always great to follow a coin for a week that you want and get the winning bid.....

16. jwitten

Did you get it?!?

17. Rhoowl

Rhoowl Member

No.....didn't get that one....didn't see it...not sure how I missed it....I would have bid it....65s don't come up too often in libertys....definitely would have been a nice coin.....the only thing that would have concerned me Is the photo..looked like he was using incandescants which make things look redder....also. Looks like a handheld and blurry

18. Rhoowl

Rhoowl Member

jwitten likes this.
  19. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

I recognize that seller. He is more interested in getting his hand in the photo than showing the coin. He may be the same one who took a picture of a coin on his bare leg (wearing shorts).

What a marketer!:yack:

20. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Bidding on a coin is always a double edged sword. Sure you can always second guess yourself and wonder if only I had made 1 more bid increase ....... But you must also always remember that you don't know just how deep the cut from that edge of the sword will end up being. There is always the possibility that it can be "too deep". And if it ends up being too deep, then you know you would have been better off to have walked away.

I look at this way. Anybody can survive a cut or two that is too deep. But nobody can survive too many cuts like that. So you have to be careful and allow yourself to take those deep cuts in exceptional cases, and infrequently.

But you also have to recognize that success has a price, and unless you accumulate a few scars over the years (from those too deep cuts) then you will likely never achieve that success.

What allows to to do this ? Knowledge :)

jwitten likes this.
  21. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Many do, but subsequently get dipped because most dealers don't feel the gold is as widely marketable when original. That's because most originally toned gold exhibits harmless copper spots, which a lot of retail customers expect not to see. Personally, I like material like that.

eddiespin likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted