MS/PR 70 Bullion Coins - Do they fit in a traditional collection?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by john59, Mar 29, 2015.

1. john59

john59 Well-Known Member

Do MS/PR 70 bullion coins fit into a traditional collection? Those grades are selling for way over spot. What do you think?

swamp yankee likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

For the right collector/registry set owner they do. For the traditional collector, they don't.

4. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

Why not?

imrich likes this.
  5. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Oh blast it Tom. There ya go making me explain myself. :)

I think that most traditional types don't want to spend the extra money to buy them. The '70' is not a draw for this collector and the added expense to obtain one is a real turn off........

rooman9 and Jwt708 like this.
  6. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

My favorite slabbed ASE story. A member brought in a slabbed MS69 ASE with a minimum of $55 to one of our club auctions. The auctioneer said, "Where's the other one? Lot of 2, right?"

7. doug5353

doug5353 Well-Known Member

Down the line, if gold and silver move up, that "premium" will disappear, and the slabbed bullion coins will be worth only a fraction more than the lumpy one you carry as a pocket-piece.

swamp yankee likes this.
  8. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

No. Slabbing bullion is insane.

swamp yankee and doug5353 like this.
  9. re-collect

re-collect Active Member

Slabbing bullion IMO, is a contrivance created by some fairly astute marketers. I would not pay a premium.

doug5353 and Paul M. like this.
  10. doug5353

doug5353 Well-Known Member

To save money on slabbing bullion, try the West Virginny Grading Company, although their holders only display one side. Send them two coins and an unopened can of Skoal.

Processing time depends on how many are chewing. :yack:

swamp yankee likes this.
  11. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

What is a "traditional collection"?

swamp yankee likes this.
  12. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Specifically for the MS pieces, I don't think these are terribly collectible. None have mintages less than 3.3 million up through 2013, and many have substantially higher mintage. Survival rate is likely 99.9%, so I fail to see why they should carry any numismatic premium at all. Practically the same goes for most of the proofs, with the notable exception of 1995-W. Even Morgans with comparable mintages don't have huge numismatic premiums until you hit MS65+, and survival rates are much, much lower due to melting in the 60's-80's.

People buying MS69 or MS70 bullion pieces are buying plastic, a number, and a lot of marketing hype. That's it.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
  13. john59

john59 Well-Known Member

Why only 1996-W ?

14. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Sorry, that was a typo (now corrected in my post). I meant 1995-W. It had a mintage of just over 30,000 and was only sold as part of the 10th Anniversary American Eagle Five Coin Set, an expensive set due to the four gold coins.

15. Ethan

Ethan Collector of Kennedy's

Well I disagree but can see why most feel this way. Here are my thoughts, someone new starts to collect bullion and starts with Eagles...then decides they want one of every year. If they can afford it, then they will want one of every year in the best condition they can get it (Bragging rights) no registry set needed.

So that being said, I have a few 70 graded Eagles.....few meaning less than 10% of my eagles.....pure hype I know, but hey they are in nice holders....

Heck I even bought one of these and it has held its value pretty well for a couple of years..

r (3).jpg

midas1 likes this.
  16. swamp yankee

swamp yankee Well-Known Member

Not for a traditional collector, "moderns" maybe?

17. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

I like collecting bullion. I have albums with Kook's, ASE's and another with Maple Leafs. I also have a lot of graded ASE's. Some are 70's.

I'm happy with them.

18. swamp yankee

swamp yankee Well-Known Member

Old stuff like what I see in my mirror!.....

19. john59

john59 Well-Known Member

20. john59

john59 Well-Known Member

21. john59

john59 Well-Known Member

Would you pay 10-20 times over spot for 69/70

Draft saved Draft deleted