MS Obverse, F Reverse = 50/50? 60/40? Lowest of the 2?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by iPen, Feb 18, 2016.

1. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

That's what WE said. I'll bet you don't have a problem telling the difference between a 69, a 70, or a 68 for that matter - either. Right? ;)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

To my mind, the lower-graded face determines the grade. But, if you see one face as MS and the other as circulated, it's obvious you need to look more closely at the coin. We, unlike the TPG's, have the luxury of studying and contemplating the coin at length. There is much to learn if you can but devote more than superficial attention to your object of study.

4. Insider

Never mind...I understand now.

5. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

But I see it as a way to test the soundness and strength of the grading criteria itself. I try to "break" the system, sort of speak. Maybe a different grading scale will fare better. And, in the inevitable case that even one or two rare possibilities does come across the grader's hands, what would they do? Make an exception and go with the convention?

Insider likes this.
  6. Insider

:muted:

iPen likes this.
  7. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

Meh... I'm not bothered by questioning authority, mostly because I'm simply curious as opposed to trying to pick a fight or whatever lol. And, if the Sheldon scale as it is today is, for all intents and purposes, sound, then I'm sure hardcore advocates would / should welcome the challenge. (I'm not advocating one system or another; I'm indifferent with the various grading scales that are used for all collectibles, not just numismatics - I'm sure they each have their applicable strengths and weaknesses).

Insider likes this.
  8. Insider

Ditto. Keep doing it (as long as its not the boss).

Draft saved Draft deleted