MS Obverse, F Reverse = 50/50? 60/40? Lowest of the 2?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by iPen, Feb 18, 2016.

1. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

PCGS states online that:

A split grade may be assigned when there are significant differences in the obverse grade and reverse grade of the same coin. Split grades are normally denoted with a dual grade in obverse/reverse format. For example, a coin with a split grade of F/VF would have an obverse grading Fine (F) and a reverse grading Very Fine (VF). Typically, coins with a split grade are valued at the level of their lowest grade, whether obverse or reverse.

I would call up NGC or PCGS, but I bet I'd get the same answer I usually get with these questions... that the graders would know but they're not allowed to connect us to them.

Anyway, would the TPG's grade simply be an average of the two sides' grades? A 60/40 split (Obverse / Reverse)? Stick with the lowest grade?

How would you grade a coin with one side MS and the other Fine?

Do you have a PCGS or NGC slabbed example of one?

I'm sure ANA mentions it somewhere.

Thanks in advance!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. bdunnse

bdunnse Who dat?

Doesn't the quote from PCGS answer your question?

Insider likes this.
  4. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

If that was from their how coins were graded page that I think it was, that was just for educational purposes I believe. I have never seen a split grade from them. It is possible they did it every now and then at one point, but I seriously doubt they do it now.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
    iPen and Insider like this.
  5. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

(
    @baseball21 is correct. No split grades anymore :( That was a part of the "old" technical grading system use for internal records at the ANA's Certification Service while it was in DC. That system along with split grades was used at the first TPGS (INSAB). When ANACS moved to CO, they kept the split grade part of technical grading but added confusion by combining a coin's surface condition with the amount of wear (a bastardization of tech grading).

IMO, split grades were a great idea because it made it clearer to determine what the coin looked like if you could not see it! With commercial grading of today it is much harder to visualize a coin. For example: A Morgan $ grading MS-63 may have some serious marks on the cheek and a PERFECT MS-70 reverse. A coin graded MS-65, may have a semi-PL obvers while its rev could be Ultra Deep Mirror PL; yet the coin will not get a PL.

With commercial grading the obverse is most important. The reverse cannot raise a grade; yet in some cases it will lower it.

Other posters can add to this...

Ps Many older type coins have huge splits du to strike weakness. It is not uncommon to see a G-4/F-2!

PSS Want more confusion...it all comes down to the coin's eye appeal as judged by professional graders :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Kentucky likes this.
  6. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

I should have clarified. I usually just ask a bunch of questions to lead into the "but then why is it that..." transitions lol.

I ask if there are split graded examples, as I haven't seen any, so maybe PCGS does it but it's super rare, or PCGS doesn't do it anymore. And, what does NGC do?

Yes, you're right, it's from their PCGS grading page.

In any case, wouldn't it make sense to use split grades regardless of any drastic differences between the obverse and reverse? For example, if it's MS-69 on the reverse but an MS-70 on the obverse, and you can't find the tiny little blemish... that'd drive me nuts. Although maybe it'll cause more "commercialization" of TPGs to take advantage of...

7. baseball21

I wouldn't use it in the 69/70 instance with how much that is splitting hairs to start with, but there could be instances where some people may prefer it. Likely though it would just give people more to complain about when they don't get the grade they want on one or both sides.

If it did go back to that (I don't think it will especially not any time soon) I would save it for more extreme examples. Say a 30/15 or 40/20 type thing.

8. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

What if the reverse is the most attractive part?

For example, many of the Canadian dollars have the same or similar recycled busts (many or most former and present British colonies/territories do). The reverse of those dollars would stand out more from an aesthetic standpoint, at least to me. Or, is it by commercial grading convention that the obverse is viewed as the most important?

9. baseball21

That is basically 90 percent of Morgans which seem to almost always have a better reverse. It may tip the scale on a very borderline coin but for the most part the Obverse will set the max grade that the reverse can only lower. Occasionally you'll see wild toners holdered reverse side in the front, but even those bring a lower premium then if the toning was on the obverse.

Insider likes this.
  10. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

I'd either call it . . .
    1. A mint state coin struck through grease, or
    2. UNC Details, altered surfaces (on one side).

Other than those two possibilities, I don't see how such a coin would exist.

More seriously, aside from the above example in which the difference between grades is so extreme, I think you're really inquiring about coins which still differ on opposite sides, but not so greatly. Great examples would be many of the mint-marked buffalo nickels, or San Francisco dimes of the 1860's, where the reverse detail is often a full grade inferior to that of the obverse.

This can usually be attributed to poor maintenance / replacement of dies at the mint, and not to wear. In the higher grades . . . strong VF and above, mint luster can be used to determine grade where detail is lacking because of degraded dies, or even because of insufficient strike pressure (not the subject of this thread).

- Mike

11. Insider

Partial agreement; however, why leave the subjectivity. I know what makes a coin 70, 69, 68 ... these are the easy one's and there is no "splitting hairs" involved. The ANA Grading Guide is a good start to learning the difference in marks between these three grades.

I agree we may never see split grades again; however if we do, THEN DO IT COMPLETELY. I have seen SE with all types of splits: MS-69/67, MS-70/67, MS-65/69, etc.

12. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

What if the coin was left in an old album and it was left for folks to look and touch over many decades?

13. baseball21

The different between a 69 and 70 is about as fine as splitting a hair. A tiny little spec is a 69, that is what splitting hairs refers too. The difference between a G and F is far greater same with AG and G, F and VF ect.

14. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

I know that the BGS, PSA, and other sports card grading companies split grades into four criteria, and then they offer an overall average grade. It seems to work for cards, maybe it'll work for coins, though they're very different altogether (paper vs metal).

15. Insider

Already answered in Post#4;)

16. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

I would question that coin.

Unc vs Fine reverse?

17. Insider

Have only seen such a coin on mint marked, branch mint Buffalo nickels and 3c nickels. In all cases the coins only appeared to be fine due to properties of the strike. So their actual grade was MS/MS weak strike.

#1 Actually not. The coin would still be MS on the grease side - just lacking details.

#2 This is possible.

@iPen

You can make up all kinds of cases but IMO, wild, unusual, virtually impossible instances (while they may happen - anything is possible) are not productive: Is the moon really made of cheese? :rolleyes:

18. baseball21

Theoretically if you put a coin in a folder reverse side up it could happen over time, but yea you would likely have to be doing that intentionally

19. Insider

Sorry Mike :eggface::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: I still have not learned to read the entire post before answering one paragraph at a time.:banghead::facepalm::eggface::shame:

Perhaps two virtually identical answers will beat it in ;)

ToughCOINS likes this.
  20. Insider

What if, what if....:rolleyes:

What if I took a coin and only rubbed my thumb over the obverse for ten years! Guess I could get a worn out thumb and a coin grading P-1/MS.

Get the idea yet?

21. Insider

:rolleyes: Did you read the post where two of us have written THAT SPLIT GRADES WERE ONCE USED TO GRADE COINS? We both said they will probably no be used again for coins. It is more likely that the ball card graders will switch to one single grade.

Draft saved Draft deleted