MS 66 5FS Nickel

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by MeowtheKitty, Sep 14, 2021.

1. MeowtheKitty

MeowtheKitty Well-Known Member

Do they have Proof War nickels? That sounds like something a Cat would want.

ZoidMeister likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

1942 P

4. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

I've been busy polishing my slabs for several weeks now...It's amazing how damaged they get over time...NGCs are the toughest to restore, but they eventually come around...Nothing worse than seeing a nice coin thru a damaged slab!

Mannie gray likes this.
  5. MeowtheKitty

Only 1 of the 5 where made in proof?

6. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Proof dies were not necessarily over used, as much as you have cameo proofs ultra cameo proofs and your lower end proofs. All proofs should have 6FS.

I am partial to older slabs. Some old slabs can have a hefty premium depending on the coin.

ZoidMeister likes this.
  7. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

No proof coins were struck from 1943 thru 1949

8. charley

charley Well-Known Member

physics-fan 3.14, 30 June 2009. This forum. Thread Title:

"Die States, or, the Journey of a Die from First Strike To Terminal State".

ZoidMeister likes this.
  9. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

As a dealer who specializes in Jefferson Nickels, I think you got a great deal. I would never sell a 1950-D NGC MS66 5FS for such a low price. I think the last one I sold went near $100.

10. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

The quality of your nickel, 1950-D, is great. On top of that it's sealed, graded, and worth every penny you paid for it, and more. In my opinion, you did very well, I like it, Thanks for sharing your beauty.

MeowtheKitty likes this.
  11. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

Yup only the 1942 for the war and regular nickels not just the silver there also was the type 1 42 proof without the mint mark above Monticello aka normal nickel/clad composition and the type 2 silver proof.

12. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

Proofs were only produced at the Philadelphia mint in 1942. Both types (nickel and silver) were produced that year. The silver proof has a P mint mark. No proofs were produced again until 1950.

Penny Luster likes this.
  13. Mike Thorne

Mike Thorne Well-Known Member

Just finished an article about collecting Jeff 5c for Coins magazine and decided to buy a couple as I have exactly zero in my inventory. I paid $105 for a 1939-D reverse of 1940 in PCGS MS66. Also, I bought a 1954-S/D in PCGS MS65 for $135. I'll be looking for a nice 1950-D and think the one posted by OP is one I would like.

MeowtheKitty likes this.
  14. Mcpix

Mcpix Member

Full step Jeffersons are so addictive.

15. john65999

john65999 Well-Known Member

50-d in ms-66 full steps is 100.00 list price (numismedia) and i am sure much more on pcgs site..a hell of a deal, at this price you could def make 25 or more selling to a nickel nut..lol nice coin

16. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Get you some headlight lens polish from the parts store. It will buff up your slabs better than they came from NGC.

MeowtheKitty and chascat like this.
  17. whopper64

whopper64 Well-Known Member

e-Bay lists cheapest 5FS for $60.00, and that example doesn't come close to yours. Was there a personal reason for the date? No matter, your coin looks great and the price was right.

18. MeowtheKitty

Sorry but Cats only hoard.

19. MeowtheKitty

Meow did not know that. Thanks.

20. MeowtheKitty

Meow read some thread on TPG nickels and had a craving for one. Meow does have a pawful of small ANCS soaps that are FS too. Its been years since Meow bought one. Just had the urge created by posts here.

21. MeowtheKitty

Maybe one day Meow will show all of Meows ANACS soap FS nickels. Meow has about half a dozen of them. The reception here has been very warm, and Meow appreciates it.
    But Meow is very busy this month but would be willing to share if people would like to see them.

Draft saved Draft deleted