MS 65 Morgans

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Bman33, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Hi all, I am wanting to get a nice Morgan Silver Dollar in particular an 1885CC in MS65. I am new to the hobby as I have only been collecting for a year and have a very humble collection. I Want my coin to be PCGS or NGC graded. I started looking at a lot of Graded Morgans at shops and shows and I have noticed on MS65's there can still be a lot of Chatter on the cheek and fields. Am I looking at poorly graded coins or is this common even in a MS65? The only thing I can think of is to keep looking at Morgan's.

SharonG likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

A clarifying question: how was the luster on the coins you saw? I've seen quite a few coins with amazing luster get 65 despite cheek chatter.

4. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Good question, the one I saw in person was the 1885CC MS65 with GSA Hoard case (PCGS). The luster was beautiful, I just didn't like the chatter though. I posted it in another thread when I was at the show looking at it. Everyone here said to pass because of cheek chatter and it was too baggy. But once again the luster was amazing.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  5. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

I recall that one. Yes, that's exactly why people say "buy the coin, not the slab." Especially in CC Morgans, if you're going to pay MS65 price, make sure you get a surefire MS65 coin :)

Bman33 likes this.
  6. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

That's the plan. I will still have to justify to my fiance why I bought a coin over $1,000.00 too. Does anyone here get heat from your significant others for buying high dollar coins?

Seattlite86 likes this.
  7. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

I'd say keep looking for clean cheeks if you're looking at 65's. To some extent, the "nice for the grade" CC Morgans are setting in collections and the lower end ones are the ones floating around shops, etc. But with some searching you should be able to find a nice one.

Dynoking and Bman33 like this.
  8. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

gonna make a ring out of it ?

Bman33 likes this.
  9. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

I'll buy it and just throw it in the safe. If she asks what I got I can dodge how much I paid.

10. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Yes you are looking at poorly graded coins. Or to be more precise, grossly over-graded coins.

11. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

They were PCGS and NGC Slabs. There must be a lot of over graded ones. I'll go by what you guys always say, buy the coin and not the slab.

mikenoodle likes this.
  12. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

Don't even joke about that...! ;-)

Paul M., Kentucky and Clawcoins like this.
  13. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

Uh, YEAH.

Hopefully she has some expensive hobbies, too...

Some of the lucky ones get understanding in the other person, though... ;-)

Bman33 likes this.
  14. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

85CC65.jpg

This one is $1,500 online. It's got a CAC sticker on it but still some chatter. Maybe I just have to high of expectations for an MS65.

Paul M. likes this.
  15. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

That's a real 65. No problemo. Take the same marks and move them around, and it no longer is.

Kirkuleez, Paul M. and Seattlite86 like this.
  16. GDJMSP

Yes, there are. Think about it for a minute. Even you, who by your words are new to the hobby, questioned the grades because of what your own eyes told you. And you did exactly the right thing.

Sadly, what you are seeing today was not always the case. There was a time when the TPGs graded coins correctly, and a 65 was an honest 65. Not some grossly over-graded 63, or worse. But those days are long gone.

Happily, there are still some correctly graded coins in older slabs. And once in a while, maybe 1 out of 10 times, you can even find a coin in a modern slab that is correctly graded.

17. GDJMSP

We shall have to disagree on that count.

18. V. Kurt Bellman

What I'm saying is a top-2 TPGS will put it in an MS65 holder today. Anything more than that is frankly your problem. This one even got Albanese's imprimatur. Why would I take your frankly outdated word over theirs?

I'm really not trying to be excessively provocative here, but your rap is frankly getting a little tired.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
  19. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

This one had a green CAC too.

20. V. Kurt Bellman

That IS Albanese. Some people just apparently love the role of "official curmudgeon". You see, the whole stinking hobby's wrong except for Doug, and I'm really getting tired of it.

JAY-AR likes this.
  21. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

I have been telling Doug this for years. Anyone who actually follows Doug's methodology will be relegated to a numismatic tire kicker.

Doug's idea of an MS65 would grade premium gem by the TPG standards and nobody is gonna sell you a premium gem for MS65 money. The best one can do is look for a premium quality coin for the grade. The are tough to find, but with patience it can be done.

Draft saved Draft deleted