MS 64 1863 Indian Head Cent

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by lincolnhoardr, Apr 12, 2010.

1. lincolnhoardr

lincolnhoardr Coin Hoarder

How much is this beauty worth?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

Not enough...it's great!! The picture could use an upgrade though :p

4. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Around $300 or so. Nice coin.

5. Numismatist47

Numismatist47 New Member

Beautiful coin. I'd say around $200.

6. Shoewrecky

Shoewrecky Coin Hoarder

yeah I would try to lighten that picture up and show that beauty off!
    I say for the value well donate to the baby shrek fund and he would be appreciated

-Shrek

7. Ancient One

Ancient One Junior Member

Ancient One

I don't understand why people who have not a clue to the value of something, will give you uneducated guesses. In this case, the 200.00 and 300.00 guesses are not even close. From your photo I can't tell if it is VF - AU - or UNC. But this much I can tell you for certain, (It looks to be at LEAST an XF - if so it is 45.00+ -- if it is AU - (about uncirculated - has extremely light wear so fine you can hardly see it with a loupe) 70.00 --
    if it is - UNCIRCULATED (No evidence of any wear and possibly still a tiny bit of luster -- 100.00 --- if it is BU - (brilliant uncirculated) it is 160.00 AND -- if it were a Proof (which it is not) it would be worth 725.00
    These quotes are directly from the 2010 book.
    Hope this answers your question.
    Incidently - to give you some idea of the difference in date prices, I have a BU 1882 and it only lists at 90.00 - Yours lists more because of the date.
    Good luck,
    Ancient One

8. abe

abe LaminatedLincolnCollector

:crying::crying::crying:

9. cerdsalicious

cerdsalicious BigShot

Grade is already listed.
    So if it's NGC slabbed it's worth $400

10. Ancient One

OK!
    Show me where it said it was slabbed. Not there. Show me where it said what grade it is. Not there either. At least none of it is in his original post. I stand my my info. Like I said, it is the correct pricing for what I saw in his post. None of my info said anything about slabbed, did it?. Where did you come up with it is slabbed? Not from his original question!
    Ancient One

11. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

He does not say it is slabbed. But it is pictured in a PCGS slab and he says it is MS-64.

BTW, they are going for $250 to $400 on Heritage.

12. Jim M

Jim M Ride it like ya stole it

Where to start. the OP.. says its MS64 in the title. The coin in the picture certainly looks to be encased in a slab of some sort. Based on that information some of the posters have stated that in their opinions it would be worth X. Now, to say something like you have about uneducated guessing then quoting prices from the red book? Best to sit back and read the forum for a short time my friend. There are some people on this forum who happen to be very highly respected in the industry. Now, if your living by redbook prices, There are many here that have want list and would be happy to have you fill them for redbook prices.

I am also having trouble with something in my 2010 redbook that perhaps you can help me with. I can not for the life of me find a grade "BU" listed in the IHC series.

Is best not to toss stones when standing in a glass house my friend.

Respectfully posted,

Jim

13. mark_h

:mouth:

Ancient One:

(1) It was requested what a 1863 MS-64 was worth. The last several at Heritage have all gone over $300. Do some research yourself.
    (2) Now for the coin - look closely. This coin is a graded coin and I am sure the original poster asked the question based off the grade on the holder. It was not requested that we grade the coin.
    (3) Speaking of grading - how can you possibly not grade this coin off this scan? While the luster is washed out from the scans it is clearly a MS coin and more than likely a MS64.
    (4) Using the red-book is not a wise move in determining what a coins is worth or what to pay for a coin. Example - 1882 MS-63 graded coins run typically around $80 if brown(from heritage) - not sure if red book deals with color of the coin, but the prices are still inaccurate. Use auctions or grey sheet or at least something more accurate than the red book.

Now lets see what you know - here is a heritage auction of an 1882 I won at about $100 plus shipping and handling. Was this a good buy or not? Look closely and think carefully and research this date with this coin in mind.

So obviously you are right - I must not know what I am doing. I really recommend before accusing others of not knowing what they are doing is to sit down and do some research yourself. Then post your opinion to the original poster leaving out any extra-curricular comments.

14. Ancient One

Clarification to enlighten you

There are some people on this forum who happen to be very highly respected in the industry. I don't doubt that one bit.

Now, if your living by redbook prices, Now you are "trying" to be insulting. I made no mention of Redbook prices. However, the book I used WAS the 2010 edition by RS Yeoman.... I don't think the info in it is incorrect, Do YOU? However, I admit nothing is in concrete. It's only a guide.

I am also having trouble with something in my 2010 redbook that perhaps you can help me with. I can not for the life of me find a grade "BU" listed in the IHC series. You ARE correct in this. However, the MS 63 is the same as BU. I suppose I should have said MS 63. Sorry about that.
    LAST:
    I admit now that I did not see the MS63 in his title. OOPS. My error.
    I stand corrected. However, you state it is slabbed, and nothing in his text indicates it is. You are judging by the photo that "APPEARS" the coin is in some sort of a case. And since he did not indicate it was an authenticated coin, and slabbed, I did not "ASSUME" it was. I posted my reply only on what he described. Nothing more.
    As for the pricing I quoted, I stand by them. If you can tell me a better trusted source, I'm all ears. I believe you missed the whole point in my post. Nowhere did I say (or suggest) I am an authority on coins, was just giving what was in the book, trying to be helpful. (Though I have been collecting off and on since BEFORE you were born) when the grades were only G, F, VF, EF, AU and BU etc.

And this is "Respectfully posted," as well.
    Now simmer down and have a great day.
    Ancient One

Jim[/QUOTE]

15. StGauden658

StGauden658 Junior Member

Somebody is going to blow a head gasket!! Anyway nice coin Lincolnhoardr!

16. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Just a great example :)

17. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

Who certified it? I ask because it doesn't "feel" like a PCGS holder to me. Anyway, is that a spot of green on the T in UNITED?

18. Jim M

Jim M Ride it like ya stole it

Wasn't going to reply but you asked me a question so I feel compelled to answer it.

Yes I do feel the pricing in the redbook is incorrect, as do most people who have been around for more than a few days. Think about this for a minute my friend.. The 2011 Redbook has been out for a few months already, does that mean that the prices have been set for next year? You know better than that.

Here are a few "prices from the 2010 redbook" just as a quick example.
    1999 Wide AM Lincoln Cent MS-65 $500.00 Last one sold PCGS MS65 at Heritage for $207.00

Now lets for grins and giggles take a look at your coin. 1882 BU or MS63..
    Redbook says 90 bucks. We can agree with that I am sure if BU=MS63.
    Heritage has sold them from ANACS MS63 for $50 - to PCGS Red MS63 for $218.50 Yours falls in that range, you could lose $40 on the coin or if its graded correctly and red instead of red/brown or brown you could do well on the other end. I sense from your name and your use of the BU designation that you and I are both from the old school of coin collecting. I remember the days when you said, yep, she is pretty, how much, it was either Good, VG, Fine, VF XF, AU for BU. Things have gotten alot more complicated over the years and honestly I like the old days... How can a coin be a MS70? If a coin is perfect, the only way that another coin could possibly be perfect is to be the clone of the first one. Mind boggling!

This is the first time in probably 10 years I have looked at a redbook for pricing and probably will be another 10 before I do it again. Its a great reference book for mintage numbers (although there are mistakes there) Great informational book and I say its a must for any beginning collector to own. but pay little to no attention to the prices listed. Check for sales/auctions on the internet, Check at coin shows, coin shops, etc..

Have a great night and have fun collecting. Way to much time and energy is being spent on the what is this worth aspect of the hobby these days. :whistle:

19. mark_h

[/QUOTE]

You keep saying 63 re-read the title it is a MS64 and if this yeoman book does not have a price for a MS64 coin from between $250 and $400 then yes I would say the pricing is off. In this date the prices between one grade to the next can have significant jumps. So to me $250 is on the low side and $400 on the high side. And yes you did just say 2010 book not 2010 redbook. So far none of the books I have seen are very accurate, but they are just guides - even the Rick Snow book I have has prices that appear to be high to me.

And you were the one who blantantly disparaged my quote of $300 - said I obviously did not know what I was doing. I don't claim to be an expert on the board, my grading needs practise and I have a long way to go - but I can look up prices on heritage. And as I stated before you can post your opinion, which is always welcome, but don't attack other members.

20. mark_h

Can't tell - it looks like dirt or it could be the scan. Not sure why you say it does not "feel" like a PCGS holder. I am not positive by the picture, but to me it just looked like one. To me from the pictures the coin looks accurately graded so that is how I came up with the price I have.

Now if that was a green spot then I might have a different price. :)

21. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

I don't think it's in a PCGS holder because the flexible ring that surrounds the coin in a PCGS holder is not frosted all the way to the coin. There is a clear area directly next to the coin. However, ICG and SEGS have holders with an insert that is frosted right up to the coin. Therefore, if the coin is certified, I would expect it to be in either an ICG or SEGS holder and that might change the perception of value.

Draft saved Draft deleted