MS 1950 Lincoln

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Way, Jul 19, 2021.

1. Way

Way Active Member

Hi guys stumbled upon a rare coin while garage sale hunting coins. Im not going to tell yall what I paid because its sickining really.................. 20210719_182557_HDR_(1).jpg 20210719_191440_(1).jpg $20. Ha ha. Whats it worth?

Dynoking, Millard, capthank and 2 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

4. GH#75

GH#75 Trying to get 8 hours of sleep in 4. . .

Yeah I definately wouldnt have gotten that :facepalm:

Good thing it wasnt too expensive.

5. Matthew Kruse

Matthew Kruse Young Numismatist

1950 P is not by any means a "rare coin."

I didn't want to be the one to burst your bubble so I let @SensibleSal66 go first, haha. I cant tell grade based on pics but 2020 Red Book lists 1950 small cent in MS66 condition as $2. So yeah, you're $18 in the hole.

All I gotta say is.... do your research before you spend crazy prices on coins.

paddyman98 and fretboard like this.
  6. Way

Way Active Member

I thought there were no mint sets for 1950not all is lost because I needed it for my set. Still a disappointment though. I hate to say it but I think I suck at this.

thomas mozzillo and John Burgess like this.
  7. Matthew Kruse

On the bright side, there is some really nice toning on the reverse! Do you have a red/blue book? They are like 10 bucks on Amazon and they are essential for any collector.

GH#75 and Way like this.
  8. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

The images make it look like a proof.

9. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Easiest thing while you are out and about, on your smart phone google 1950 P cent and it will give you the value.

Matthew Kruse likes this.
  10. Matthew Kruse

eBay sold listings are the best resource IMO

11. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
    Kentucky and rosethe like this.
  12. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Nice looking but not worth a lot. It’s a look so not a rare coin or date. If you’re building a set and this coin is needed then it becomes essential.

13. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Anything is better than guessing.

14. Gam3rBlake

Gam3rBlake Well-Known Member

I would recommend learning by getting rolls of pennies from your local bank and searching through them.

Eventually you will learn which have value and which don’t.

15. Scott J

Scott J Well-Known Member

It's probably not red, but you might be surprised what a 1950 Lincoln can go for in upper MS. SmartSelect_20210719-222200_CoinFacts.jpg

CygnusCC and JPD3 like this.
  16. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

The flat edges would indicate that it is a Proof coin. All the features are well defined. Photos don't show enough info.

UncleScroge likes this.
  17. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Better images would be helpful. The rims look square and flat.

18. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

IMO.. I looks like it was released from a Lucky Cent holder. Show the edge please.

19. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Good thought. That's very possible.

20. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

the lighting is overly bright but I feel like from what I'm seeing it's a proof coin. it's ODV-015 /RDV-004 for sure, but the Business strike was also. the rim looks right the 1950 proofs has some level of a slight rim ridge mostly somewhere between 10 and 2 o'clock from the ones I've seen, this isn't a conclusive diagnostic either though.

IF it's a proof this is the only variety I know of that would identify it as one without a doubt, barring the finish a proof coin should have.
    http://www.varietyvista.com/01a LC Doubled Dies Vol 1/1950PRED001.htm

The pictures are washed out with light so I can't make out much, new pictures in better lighting might be more useful. the lighting might be actually hiding the "proofness" in the pictures and why it's seems so overexposed and bright.

I think it's a proof though from what I can tell on it, it's either that or it's an exceptional 1950 business strike as far as centering and rims go.

Cliff Reuter and alurid like this.
  21. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

No matter . . . you've got a nice coin and made a donation to your local garage sale people.

Draft saved Draft deleted