Mr. Carr's new Capped Bust Half Dollar?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by fretboard, Jul 20, 2012.

1. treehugger

treehugger Well-Known Member

I don't care who you are, that's funny!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TheNickelGuy

TheNickelGuy Yippie I Oh

The CBH fantasy coins appear to be "Out of stock" today but not "Sold out".
    I wonder what the host coins were for these overstruck 1816 dated Capped busts?

Another interesting issue from D Carr.

4. Boxeldercoin

Boxeldercoin New Member

Fake or not you can have a lot of fun with these coins. I show mine at auctions to the so called "coin experts" around here and out of dozens of people only one said that they never a 1931-s quarter. One guy explained to his friend how rare a 1931-s quarter was. I would never sell one of these but having one at a show or auction sure tells me who knows coins and who's full of BS. Jim

5. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Sure it does....bullion. Still, a cleaned low grade bust half would be worth more than that. So to me the overstriking LOWERS the value of the piece.

6. treehugger

treehugger Well-Known Member

You all can get your undies in a bunch about their numismatic value and whether they are counterfeit all you want, but I think they have a definite artistic quality.

I just wish they weren't so dang expensive because I'd like to have a couple of them.

7. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

Which is the way it probably should be, but the reality of the matter speaks differently.

8. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Actually they are not sold out, in fact I don't think he sold any yet. He opened that one day and for whatever reason he closed the same day, and now he's open again. Just letting y'all know. It doesn't matter to me if y'all buy or not. Also, it doesn't matter to me if some of you think with all your might that the dude is a counterfeiter, I am not here to argue with anyone. Post away friends, everyone is entitled to their opinions, right, wrong or indifferent. :thumb:

9. Bedford

Bedford Lackey For Coin Junkies

They were for about a day .The statement I made at the point in the thread was when I was on the site & there were no more available. , That could have changed 10 minutes or 1 hour after I posted that, who knows. - It said sold out when I added them to the cart just to check. Then later that night place where the price was it did state "temporarily unavailable". I believe I saw it change last night with the price being displayed again. He did sell some as well , I purchased a pair.
    That's what I saw - namaste

10. cremebrule

cremebrule Active Member

For some reason, I thought Daniel Carr died a few years back. :eek:

11. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Ok, glad you cleared that up for me cause I was wondering what happened. Obviously I thought something else happened. :thumb:

12. Chiefbullsit

Chiefbullsit CRAZY HORSE

On the 1816 Half, 43 were sold on the first day they were put up for sale. He had to make some more which are now up for sale at $190 each. Don't think they'll last long.

I bought one...:thumb:

. bust_half_1816_higha.jpg

13. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

Well, he's a member of this forum... why don't you send him a PM and ask him?

14. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

I think it's a beautiful piece of art!

15. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

Which supports the saying, "A fool and his money will soon be parted."

16. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

And most of the fools seem to concgregate to eBay. I didn't realize there was a "fantasy issue" category, where all the replicas are now appearing. Anyway, I see some sellers are now listing DC's 1816 bust half at a tidy profit margin (whether they get it or not is another story):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1816-Capped-Bust-Silver-Half-Dollar-fantasy-issue-Highest-Quality-Daniel-Carr-/150863869672?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item23202ff6e8

17. Chiefbullsit

Chiefbullsit CRAZY HORSE

Who is the fool you're talking about?

18. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

I guess BU is referring to a number of us here on CT... those of us who have purchased DC's coins. I've never been disappointed with my purchases, and I know I have an item that will only increase in value (if I ever decide to sell). I find his coins amazing, and I will continue to buy them. Guess I'm just a fool.

19. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

I think he did a fantastic job of turning something of numismatic value into junk. Way to go Mr Carr!
    Guy

20. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Not really. I said the ME it lowers the value. What others are willing to pay for them has no effect on my reality. To me it still lowers the value.

21. Chiefbullsit

Chiefbullsit CRAZY HORSE

I just checked Coin Facts and it has the 1817 Bust Half MS66 at $30,000.

Soooooo these 1816s in MS67 should bring apx. $50,000 and IF they get a GOLD CAC sticker do you know these could be $100,000 coins.....and we only paid $190....:D

Draft saved Draft deleted