Mount Vernon Coin Company

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by jdiggs, Feb 6, 2010.

1. jdiggs

jdiggs New Member

Hi gang,

Has anyone purchased anything from the Mount Vernon Coin Company? Any feedback on anyone's experience or information on them would be most helpful. Tried to locate a site or book that lists questionable online coin companies, didn't have much luck finding one.

Thanks!:)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. JDS

JDS Junior Member

I have bought a few things from them and I was satisfied. They ship pretty quickly, and the coins as described.

4. weryon

weryon World traveler - In Thailand

I can tell you that I have never bought any coins from these guys , but buying coins off a website that uses grades like; Choice about uncirculated and choice smooth good + zero pictures is a huge turn off to me.

I just had to say that :D

5. Pocket Change

Pocket Change Coin Collector

I ordered once from them - an album and various 2x2's. It took FOREVER (almost 2 full weeks) for the stuff to arrive (after an immediate PayPal payment with a Buy It Now).

However, I believe they are quite reputable as I see them all over the place.

6. urbanchemist

urbanchemist US/WORLD CURRENCY JUNKIE

i have bought a lot of coin supplies from them. only have gotten a few coins from them and it was through ebay auctions. they seemed to be very easy to deal with.

7. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

I have also bought a few things from them, But there grading system does not
    Provide a pin point on grade, But over all a good experiance :)

8. fpcardsdotcom

fpcardsdotcom Beau Brummell fan

I don't have anything good to say about these people right now.
    Ordered a inexpensive package of uncirculated 1941-5 Mercury dimes for about $20 delivered on March 3rd. Their website states they take 7 days to ship (why?) On the 12th and 14th I emailed asking for a shipping status or even an email confirmation of my order with no response. On the 15th I opened up a Paypal dispute hoping to get their attention. Finally a response stating they were "very busy" and my coins were shipped.
    I responded on the 16th and again on the 17th asking for the shipping date and tracking number with no response. If I don't hear anything by the end of today I will be escalating the dispute. I am glad I only spent a small amount of money with these people. If business is going so well and they are so "busy" that it takes them 7+ days to ship a few dimes maybe they need to hire more staff.

9. Pocket Change

Pocket Change Coin Collector

Check my earlier post. I was disappointed, but they delivered - eventually. I would never order from them again, but they do deliver. So, based on my experience, take a couple of deep breaths. You will eventually get the product.

Just don't order from them again.

10. fpcardsdotcom

fpcardsdotcom Beau Brummell fan

At this point I don't even want the coins and will be returning them if they show up. I have rolls of these dimes and just bought them to see if their claims of uncirculated were accurate before ordering some tougher Morgan Dollars that I need for my sets.
    I own a full time retail and mail order business that has been running since 1988 and would have been out of business years ago if I shipped this slowly and was this flippant about communicating with my customers.
    I am not a PITA customer by any means. Spending most of my time on the seller side of the counter I don't ever want to turn into one of those people you can never make happy. All I ask for is my stuff get shipped in a timely manner and that if needed, you communicate with me. That is business 101. These guys must think their full page advertisments in the trade publications entitle them to slack off. I'll be sending a complaint on company letterhead to both coinworld and numismatic news because they did not live up to their advertised shipping policy not to mention their lack of customer service.

11. CheetahCats

CheetahCats Colonial & Early American

When I first got back into collecting, I purchased a few inexpensive coins from dealers via their own online websites based on their posted grade but no photographs. Needless to say I was disappointed. I won't buy a coin sight unseen again.

I still continue to buy supplies, however.

12. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

I've bought a few things from them with good results. I seem to recall thinking their S&H was a bit high, but I'm not sure. Check that out before committing. I've bought coin supplies from Wizard Coin Supply with nice results.

13. Just Carl

Just Carl Numismatist

I personally never even heard of them. However, this is probably due to never really looking for on line dealers. Way, way back I tried a few and although not really BAD, just nothing really good. And from what I read on coin forums and what I've heard from other collectors, the largest percentage of on line coin purchases is rather on the negative side.
    Just can't beat a coin show.

14. texmech

texmech Wanna be coin collector

I have been fortunate the few times I have done on line purchases. I am always expecting the worse, but hope for the better the first time. I would love to have an on line dealer for the various sets I am going after. I have my Jeff's taken care of when I need to, but sure would like some other go to ones. If anybody wants to PM me some dealers they have had good experience with, I would really appreciate that.

Speaking of coin shows, I am going to the Fort Worth one next week. Will be doing some serious shopping there.

15. tvc151

tvc151 Junior Member

i have purchased from them several times. not happy.

3 of my orders to date included one of their "web specials", and I'm 0 for 3 on actually getting one. these are generally very good deals, but have gone mysteriously "out of stock" by the time your order ships. then you're stuck having paid $5 in shipping for the remainder of your order ($3 roll of shield pennies, for example...). and of course the "web special" is still on their website for another month. i'm done dealing with these people, too frustrating.

my other complaint: horrible customer service. don't expect them to respond to you if you have any questions about your order.

16. CheetahCats

CheetahCats Colonial & Early American

Wow. I will have to make a note of this vendor in my CoinManage system.

17. blackfox1988

blackfox1988 Junior Member

I actually like the Mount Vernon Coin Company. However, I am biased since I live near George Washington's estate Mount Vernon, and that company sells the coins to the gift shops at Mount Vernon, where a tourist or whom ever can buy any thing from silver dollars to gold pieces of 8. I am a college student with a history major, but am an amateur coin collector, and I will be honest most of the older currency I have bought was from those gifts shops at Mount Vernon. However, I made sure to check every thing before hand on line or in books, and take a very long look at the coins before I buy them. Need to make sure they are legit. Which I have found that they are legitimate, and relatively under priced compared to say ebay or some one selling from their own collection. However, that is of course actually going to the shop and inspecting the coins. I highly doubt I would order any coins on the internet, especially ones with out pictures, or some thing proving authenticity. The MVCC on its website seems to only celll American coinage, unless I have over looked some thing. But at Mount Vernon it self they sell coins from Europe and the USA, and before. I mostly collect the King George II cents.

18. rower41

rower41 Member

I stopped in the shop yesterday; had a list about half a dozen Lincoln Cents...all Wheaties AU and Early proofs (pre 1950's), chosen from their website I have interest.
    I tell the clerk if they have these I would like to look them over.
    Clerk asked if I was interested in buying...I said no...not initially; this is my first time in the shop and I wanted to check out their stock and grading/prices to get familiar with what they have vs my needs.
    He brings out 4 from my list and says "not to be an ******* but I can't keep bringing out coins to look over if you're not interested in buying".
    How is THIS to talk to a counter customer???
    I asked what's the problem...it's not like I asked for 30 coins and am loitering in the shop wasting time. I was in the shop only 5 minutes so far tops. I perused and chose 2 Coinworld magazines to purchase; I initially went there to get a newest copy of the Redbook but they had none.
    The clerk said he was there to sell coins, not to let people look over stuff so he would not bring any more out without a commitment to purchase first...evidently sight unseen. So its...you no buy, no coins for you. They surely discouraged over-the-counter service...and did so in spades.

During my wait for the coins two employees were discussing telephone customers...and in a very disparaging manner. The younger of the pair turned to me and asked if he could help me because "I was sitting there staring at them". I replied I was just waiting for the other clerk and could not help but listen in the tiny showroom. It was very bizarre.

Th shop goes under the name Annapolis Coin Exchange, especially for buying gold and silver, for its storefront. Behind the door in the back its the Mt Vernon Coin Company for internet sales. Their Better Business Bureau certificate states they have a B rating...I'm surprised its THAT high.

I told him that I would have purchased the 1932 Proof but he can keep it...AND the magazines I was going to buy.

So yes clerk...you meant to be an *******.

And succeeded.

Goodbye.

No internet sales from me for you.

19. Owle

Owle Junior Member

Typical chutpah for coin shops

20. Player11

Player11 Bullish

I have only bought books and supplies from them and found the service very satisfactory.

21. leaconcen

leaconcen learning constantly

I have bought coins from them a few times from their website. Initially, my reaction was neutral because the coins they listed on the website were not necessarily available for purchase. When I called them to determine availability, they would not commit to anything. Within the past three months, their website policies have improved i.e. what is listed is actually there. Just wish they would actually show the coin's picture (they have a spot on the website to show a picture, but few are actually there). Most of the coins bought turned out okay. Some though were not as attractive as I thought they should be. For myself (I have mobility issues preventing my going to shows), buying from them is more guaranteed and cheaper than buying from EBay.

Draft saved Draft deleted