Most Stunning Lincoln Cent Ever

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by WingedLiberty, May 21, 2011.

1. Coinguy56

Coinguy56 Member

MPL's are confused with business strikes all the time, due to little difference (looks-wise). I've seen some business strikes look very similar. This is why I don't go after un-certified MPL's, because it takes some trained eyes to spot them. While I've seen many of them, my eyes are still not expert-eyes. It's common to see business strikes look nearly the same as MPL's but they're not.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. blu62vette

blu62vette Member

This coin was a star coin at NGC, it is just a fantastic coin. I have seen it few times and was pretty happy with the above image of the coin.

4. lkeigwin

lkeigwin Well-Known Member

Your images, Todd? You the man! I would have loved to hold it in my hands.

Guys, send your loved ones to Todd for images! You won't be disappointed.
    Lance.

5. blu62vette

blu62vette Member

My original images, the image you posted was not a version I did so someone saved it and cropped it from the web. For a real nice large full version go to coinfacts. I will look for some others and post them here.

6. blu62vette

blu62vette Member

Here is another verision, I am sure it has been said but this coin is part of the The McCullagh Collection

[​IMG]

7. lkeigwin

lkeigwin Well-Known Member

You are altogether too modest. Here it is.
    Lance.

[​IMG]

8. blu62vette

blu62vette Member

That closer but the full version wont even come close to fitting on a screen.

9. WingedLiberty

WingedLiberty Well-Known Member

I have been emailing the Penny Lady (Charmy) today, as I was looking to buy some stuff from her. She is so nice! I stumbled across this MPL on her site which is for sale (once again, out of my league, unfortunately). I think I am in love! Isn't the color on the reverse of this MPL simply exquisite!!! Cornflower blue, olive green, orange, gold, red ... Charmy really has some great coins in her inventory. Kudos to her. It's so funny, but the coin I started this thread with I don't even like anymore (so many better coins have been posted since).

1916MPLPennyLady.jpg

So I think my favorite so far is between Charmy's coin above and this registry coin posted by CoinGuy56.

1912_MPL_coinguy56_$1200.jpg

Of course the neon pink and green 1909-VDB is an amazing out-of-this-world coin, but who has $200,000 to spend?

Does anyone know how much the U.S. Mint sold these coins for when they were minted?

10. jcakcoin

jcakcoin New Member

How much are those worth?

11. WingedLiberty

the top coin (1916) is for sale for $7,500

the bottom coin (1912) is a registry coin graded PF66 BN, the online price guide says $2,500 but I am guessing it would sell for closer to $7,500 because of the visual appeal.

the neon pink and green 1909 VDB sold at auction for over $200,000 some time back

12. Coinguy56

Coinguy56 Member

No no no, you have it all wrong. I bought a 1910 PR-64 RB for $1200. That 1912 is PR-66 BN and one of my favorite looking MPL's, I don't own that coin. The 1910 on the first page is mine. The 1912 can probably command close to $8,000, just because of it's eye appeal and toning. Because it is a very beautiful coin.

13. jcakcoin

jcakcoin New Member

I just wanted a general amount (cause I can't buy it)

14. WingedLiberty

ahh sorry coinguy ... i messed up! I will correct the post above

15. blu62vette

blu62vette Member

I dont understand the need to photoshop an image of a coin you have never seen in hand, not to mention an image that has been used all over the place. I will post the original images later. The original images had no saturation added, I will never do that to an image.

16. WingedLiberty

hey blu62 ... fixed that

17. Coinguy56

Coinguy56 Member

It's all good, I wish your post was true, 'cause that 1912 is beautiful!

18. WingedLiberty

you can see why my eyes popped out when I thought you said you paid $1200 for it (that would have been the deal of the century!)

i got confused because you posted your story and that coin in the same post ...

19. The Penny Lady®

The Penny Lady® Coin Dealer

I really love Matte Proof Lincolns, and there sure are some pretty coins in this thread. Even though I certainly and unmodestly agree that my 1916 MPL is a beautiful coin, I too have seen Jonathan's 1909 VDB MPL in hand a few times, and it is the most beautiful piece of eye candy coin I have EVER seen, hands down! And thanks to Todd's amazing coin photography skills, he has captured the colorful neon toning of this coin perfectly!

For those interested in learning a little more about Matte Proof Lincoln cents, I thought I'd provide a link to a thread I started a while back that contains some very useful information about MPLs.

http://www.cointalk.com/t66862/

20. Coinguy56

Coinguy56 Member

That 1912 is on the Gobrecht's Monster Toned Rasinet collection on the PCGS Registry. I've seen many beautiful toned MPL's before, but nothing that nice.

21. illini420

illini420 1909 Collector

Agreed, editing photos of others' coins without permission isn't really too cool (especially if you haven't seen it in hand) but it is also not necessary in this case.

That 1909 VDB is not only one of the most stunning Lincoln Cents ever, but is probably one of the most stunning coins that exist. The eye appeal is just off the charts. The coin has awesome colors, but also has an awesome luster that makes the surfaces almost look like they are liquid. A coin like this I would think would be extremely difficult to image well. I've seen a few different shots of the coin over the years and Todd's image by far does the best to represent the true overall greatness of that 1909 VDB.

Draft saved Draft deleted