Most Stunning Lincoln Cent Ever

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by WingedLiberty, May 21, 2011.

1. lkeigwin

lkeigwin Well-Known Member

There are only four displayed in this thread. Do you think they're all doctored, Leadfoot? Including the PCGS and NGC examples?

Did you return it for a refund? Heritage is as good as they get but that doesn't mean there are never any dogs or that you'll love every coin they auction. I've returned a couple I didn't like.
    Lance.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Coinguy56

Coinguy56 Member

I didn't return it, it wasn't until I sent it off to NGC when I found out it had PVC, when it got here, it looked fine. Of course if I would have looked at it alot better I probably could have spotted it. My parents are both pretty mad at them, but I've learned to put it behind me. Still makes me mad when I think about it though, because they have never responded to kind and nice emails. I wouldn't buy from them again, but if you want to give them a shot, have at it.

4. DMiller

DMiller Junior Member

I didn't know Lincoln was a redhead...

5. illini420

illini420 1909 Collector

Johnathan's 1909 VDB in PR67+RB is definitely the best of the best!! Used to be in an NGC PR68RB holder, I think it had the star designation too. Now it has a CAC Gold sticker on it. Saw it in hand once and they pretty much had to pry it back out of my hands!!!! hahaha!

I got ripped off when I first tried to buy an MPL raw, ended up not being a proof, just a well struck business strike... definitely advise any newbies to the series to ONLY buy certified examples.

Here's a few that I have (not too great of pics, but the best I could manage):

PCGS PR66RB
    [​IMG][​IMG]

PCGS PR65RB
    [​IMG][​IMG]

PCGS PR65BN
    [​IMG][​IMG]

PCGS PR66BN
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Even though I really love these coins and would love to finish the series, I most likely will be selling these off soon since I'm starting my own business and the extra cash would be more helpful that a few pretty pennies!!!

I also have this Matte Proof Lincoln that I'll most likely be keeping:

PCGS PR65RB
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. lkeigwin

Well that just sucks. Sorry to hear it. I would have called Heritage and made some not-so-kind noise.

What coin was it? Did you buy it raw? PVC is effectively removed with acetone. Did you try that? Of course it can't fix damage, but a PVC haze that would bodybag a coin is usually treatable. How bad was it, anyway?
    Lance.

7. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Don't ever crack one of these out of a good slab. It may not grade if sent back in raw.

8. lkeigwin

Beautiful, Illini. The 1909's are especially wonderful. If you change your mind on that 65RB be sure to PM me.

I remember when Jonathan's VDB was crossed to PCGS and took a bump down. It didn't mean a thing, really. That coin will pull a price on its own merits. Wasn't Bob Simpson's '43-D bronze also downgraded when it went to PCGS? The most valuable penny in the world? Or maybe I'm confusing it with another spectacular coin. I wonder how it feels to pay $1.7m for a penny or even $200k, and have it drop a grade in a cross. LOL.
    Lance.

9. Coinguy56

Coinguy56 Member

I bought it certified, in a old ANACS holder. Of course I made a big mistake by cracking it out instead of summiting it in the holder. I sent it to NGC, it came back as PVC damage. Then I sent it to NCS Conservation to have it removed and re-graded, then they slabbed it as "Genuine Proof, Altered color".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is a picture that I took of it raw, the PVC is still on it. This was right before I packed it to send it off. I believe the PVC is right above the "N" in One and in between One Cent.

10. lkeigwin

I see. There's PVC evidence on both sides, actually. It probably sat in a bad flip for some time.

I'd love to see "after" pix. It doesn't appear to have damage. I think NGC would have mentioned that when they holdered it.

Have you tried submitting it again? And again? TPG grading opinions can vary from day to day. If you do resubmit it, definitely crack it out. You lose nothing by cracking at this point since it's in a bodybag, and why give NGC or PCGS any info on past opinions?

I know I wouldn't give up without a fight.
    Lance.

11. WingedLiberty

WingedLiberty Well-Known Member

that sounds like a frustrating story ... still it's a nice looking matte proof

12. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

Too bad! At least you have one.....that's one more than I have. :cool:

13. BadThad

The 13 and 14 are just SICK coins! NICE!!!

14. WingedLiberty

illini, your collection of matte proofs is fantastic !!!
    when did you start collecting them?

15. illini420

illini420 1909 Collector

Thanks! The last coin pictured, the 1909 in PR65RB I purchased in February 2009 from Angel Dees. I just had to have one nice example of a Matte Proof Lincoln cent and Andy found me an awesome coin. One of the favorites in my collection.

The others I actually acquired within the past year. The 1909 in PR66RB and the 1914 in PR66BN I happened to come across at a local coin shop. The dealer had purchased an album of high end Lincoln Cents and was quite surprised the collector had a couple of matte proofs in the album. They were submitted to PCGS for grading and I just had to get them before too many others had a chance to see them and buy them!

Then, within a month or so after that, a collector I know told me he was liquidating his complete matte proof collection (except for the 1909 VDB) which included coins that were off the market for the past 5-10 years. I wish I could have bought them all, but we were able to find a mutually agreeable price on those two.

16. WingedLiberty

that is quite a flurry of accumulating in a year! sounds like you were in the right place at the right time. great story about the album.

17. illini420

illini420 1909 Collector

Yeah, just lucky to be in the right place at the right time with the right amount of cash! The album sounded really cool, it wasn't a complete set of Lincolns, but had some really nice coins in it. The 1909-P and 1914-P ended up being proofs. The same album also had a 1909-S VDB that ended up grading MS64RB and a 1914-D that graded MS64RB (looked full red to me). Never saw them all in the album, I only saw them after the shop owner got them back from PCGS.

18. BadThad

Pretty rare! My dealer takes in tons of coins and those good albums don't come in very often. Most of what he gets are the "good or better" sets. However, he's had at least one exception that I was able to cherrypick the same day it arrived. Snagged as much as the wallet would permit. LOL My advice to people, when you run across one of these run to the bank and get a loan if necessary....they just don't come around much.

19. WingedLiberty

does this look like a matte proof to anyone?

1914_Lincoln.jpg

20. lkeigwin

Is that in a PCGS rattler holder? Looks it, from the three prongs. If so, what's the label say? :)

Hard to say when it's a picture of the coin in a holder. MPL's have broad, square rims and they are partly hidden in plastic.

Here's an example, naked.
    Lance.

[​IMG]

21. WingedLiberty

PCGS said MS65 ... i just thought to myself that looks like a MPL

very detailed hair on lincoln, blue toning (which seems common on proofs)

i suppose you can get close to a MPL in some MS coins

if i saw that coin in a PF holder, i would believe it (sadly for me)

Draft saved Draft deleted