Most ridiculous bid yet!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by panzerman, Jan 22, 2021.

1. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

Well for anyone who missed the auction & would like another chance at that coin, the present owner will entertain an offer of $28,080 or more. emoji with money.jpg

panzerman likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Good Luck! Seems there where two bidders after that Leo I Solidus/ maybe both where high on something:shame: Seems that NGC GEM 5/5 5/5 designation/ arouses collectors to do stupid things.
    I would bet a "Nomos" (virtually as struck) is better quality then the GEM designation. To put it better, I got that "Unique" Merovingian AV Triens from Heritage Europe for 3K/ only one. The Leo, hundreds of them appear in auctions each year/ maybe $1800 for a mint state more/ more realistic.;)

4. savitale

savitale Well-Known Member

This is where the crackout game begins. They may resubmit for a Star or a Fine Style. Then as a pop (1/0) with that designation there’s no limit on price. For some, there can be a lot of pride in owning the very best.

panzerman likes this.
  5. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

There would be no point to doing that. Any Leo Solidus from Kunker/ Rauch/ Lansky/ Nomos/ Morton&Eden graded MS would grade the same or higher. We are talking about a very common Emperor, with hundreds of MS examples. I doubt if CNG would have graded it higher then Supberb-EF. In the Adams collection, hardly any where graded MS/FDC yet when some reappeared in later Auctions (now TPG slabbed) they went from EF to.....MS-66! There are problems in the TPG for sure. I won a MS-67 coin ex: Newman Coll. it had the old 1965 dealer tag. Cost $12.00 Grade EF;)

6. savitale

savitale Well-Known Member

Yes, one positive impact of third party grading, in my opinion, is that the grading scale has largely been standardized. One may still quibble over a point, or half a point, on the grading scale, but the situation where one person's EF is another person's MS-67 has largely been eliminated.

panzerman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted