Most over rated coin

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by stainless, Mar 16, 2009.

1. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

They must not have any pockets in their pants.;)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jessash1976

jessash1976 Coin knowledgeable

Right n ow, 2009 lincolns, I can find them on ebay for 4 rolls-$64.99- Thats ridiculus. I'm trying right now to buy a$25 box from my bank ,so I can make a small fortune off those idiots buying them. Normarly, I think Morgans are, but they are a great coin!

4. Boss

Boss Coin Hoarder

I like that one Reuben. I second that. :high5:

5. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

sigh :(

6. Lehigh96

Boss,

Ruben has a previously documented and well articulated reason making that statement. Are you saying that you agree with his written opinion of the CAC or are you just jumping on the bandwagon.

7. tdec1000

tdec1000 Coin Rich, Money Poor :D

How about 1938 D Walker or 1950 D Jefferson

8. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

it might be helpful to document that thread if we are going to relive it.

Ruben

9. clembo

clembo A closed mind is no mind

Not even bothering to read the whole thread because this one pretty much nails it IMHO.

I'll add though darn near any MS70 or PR70 that comes out from the U.S. Mint these days.

Step right up and blow your hard earned money.

10. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

11. davidh

davidh soloist gnomic

I didn't mean your coin, or any other specific coin. What I meant is that that slabbed coins in general are automatically given a status that they don't necessarily deserve. There are thousands of raw coins that are every bit the equal of slabbed coins but the slabbed ones are given undue precedence.

Would you see this Franklin Half the same if the NGC and CAC tags weren't attached?

12. Lehigh96

I would still love this coin if it was raw, but I prefer the protections that slabs provide both to the coin itself and the stability of both the purchase and future sale price. I guess what I don't understand is how the opinions of TPG's can make a coin overrated.

My guess is that most of your collection is raw if you feel this way. So would you still feel the same about your collection of someone took them, slabbed them, and returned them to you? After all, they are still the same coins.

I understand the feelings of those who don't much like the TPG's like yourself, but I am having a hard time understanding how that translates into a coin being overrated.:confused:

13. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

That makes more sense. Thanks for the explanation, Jack.
    Guy~

14. Arizona Jack

Arizona Jack The Lincoln-ator

With Pauls eye for quality, I think he would.

Slabs do not raise value..........I know a contradiction, they just greatly improve your chances at getting your moneys worth, AND, better yet, your heirs getting it as well when it somes time to sell. Toned coins and the premiums aside.

A toner like this with a Rick Tomaska endorsement is considered a huge coup if purchased raw and " self made ". A true cherrypick could be had this way.

15. Arizona Jack

;)

16. davidh

davidh soloist gnomic

You don't understand why I think slabbed coins in general are overrated and I don't understand why slabbed coins often are rated by some as being more desirable than an equally graded raw coin.

Justification for either position is not needed. The OP asked for opinions; I have presented mine and you have presented yours.

17. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

yeah ASE (which i collect lol)

18. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

OK - maybe I'll step a toe into this budding controversy. You make a valid point that is worth exploring and which I'm inclined to agree with, although I think your missing a valid, non-fraudulent market dynamic. Coins that are slabbed can at first be viewed as being overpriced in the market. And this argument is much stronger as we discuss MS and PF 70 coins. And as the stars bare witness, we've had this argument, sometimes for weeks at a time. I threw almost 15 people into my ignore box once in a string of discussions involving this very point. But here is where you are not making a good analysis.

It is entirely irrelevant that you can have a 1000 coins or even a billion raw coins of equal grade and quality as slabbed coins with less market value, and if your good enough, maybe even more tightly graded. There is a legitimate market value to the slabs themselves and that value is tethered to the degree of accuracy and trust that the collecting community puts on the outcomes of the grading process that the TPGs earn over time.

I'm a huge critic of the TPG's system of grading. I think they are too arbitrary, and despite the enormous, and I mean enormous, amount of expertise, education, and fair mindedness that the TPGs might have about grading coins, that their processes are still not verifiable enough, nor well documented, or well engineered enough for my complete satisifaction. I would rather have less expertise and a validated process in place where the companies can tell me that through rigorous testing that their grades have been shown, when proper quality control is enforced, to produce reliable grades within plus and minus X% of the grade given 9X% or the time. That would be then a complete and full description of the grade.

However, and this is a HUGE HUGE HUGE however, even with 1 billion raw coins equal to TPGed coins, there is a trillion more that are defective or misgradable, or otherwise being capable of being manipulated by sellers to be overstated specimens, and that a vast vast majority of even educated collectors would be mislead against their own interests in their bargaining in the market. The degree to which the TPGs, that is PCGS, and NCG, and at times MAYBE ANACS or PCI, add market information about a coin and then effectively encapsulate that coin in such as way that the information is likely to remain valid for a long period of time, is an important, if not critical, additional value that the TPGers provide in the market and for which people rightfully pay. There is nothing fraudulent about this, and the service has genuine value which is worth real money.

So, despite what everyone says, and its is a valid statement, that one must buy the coin and not the slab, your still buying the slab with the coin. And expect to pay for it.

Furthermore, if your looking at a reasonably valuable coin that is raw, say a 1916-D Mercury Dime, or even my MS66 SLQ Type I quarter, you better darn well have Bowers' and Pratter's level of advanced education on that coin, and 10x Hobos ability to spot counterfeits and tampered or cleaned coins before you drop a cool 2 grand on the darn coin. Because I find that even unslabbed mid-priced raw Peace Dollars at this point are a highly risky proposition and three times I've brought what I thought were exceptional Peace Dollars at premium prices from a reputable dealer like Stacks and all three times the coins were body bag material.

Now, I'm not talking about CAC. That is a whole different business model that I don't want to get into here. And you are now welcome to flame away at me as per normal.

This messages has now been sealed with my CEO of Brooklyn Stamp

[​IMG]

and I'm sure Spock is somewhere in the background about now snickering at me :)

Ruben

19. Arizona Jack

Your making progress Rueben, and I like your sticker too:D
    Now lay off those energy drinkis and stop posting 157,300 times a day and we might get somewhere.

20. coinsreport65

coinsreport65 Avid Cherrypicker

I think that, for cherrypickers out there and all those who look for veriaties, the 1955 double-die Lincoln cent is way overrated. It has some nice doubling but still, It is a 1955 wheat cent.

21. I like some commemorative gold coins but they seem around 30-50% over fair value. Try to sell one back a year later, to the guy who sold it to you! If he wants it back for more than you paid for it you have a keeper. Don't sell it... ever!!! :yawn:

Draft saved Draft deleted