Most Interesting Coin of 2018

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by ancient coin hunter, Dec 18, 2018.

1. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

I acquired 28 coins in 2018 and don't plan on acquiring anymore until the Frank Robinson auction closing on January 19th. Of all of these, this is probably my favorite. It's not the most pristine coin, has some wear, but is well patinated with a nice brown patina. Certainly it circulated far and wide in Egypt, and it depicts the emperor who traveled there with his partner, Antinous. I have shown it before, but here it is again:

Type: AE Drachm, 32mm 24.42 grams

Obverse: AVT KAI TPAI AAPIA CEB, Laureate draped and cuirassed bust right

Reverse: LDW (delta) EK in exergue, Nilos reclining left upon a crocodile, holding cornucopia and reed, Genius emerging from the cornucopia and pointing at letters IS in upper field

Reference: Milne 1269

hadrian3.jpg

hadrian4.jpg

Feel free to post anything relevant of Roman Egypt or Hadrian's travels. Happy Holidays!!!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Great one

I have the sister coin of yours, with an hippopotamus instead of the croc

[​IMG]
    Hadrian, Drachm - Alexandria mint, ca AD 131-132
    AVT KAI TRAI ADRIA CEB, Draped and laureate bust of Hadrian right
    Nilus leaning left. Behind an hippopotamus. L IS in field (regnal year 16)
    23.87 gr
    Ref : Sear #1259, RCV #3763 var, Emmett #1017/16 (R1)

Q

randygeki, zumbly, TIF and 12 others like this.
  4. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

o very nice indeed!..i've been working on getting a Nilus but no cigar(or Nilus) yet :)

ancient coin hunter likes this.
  5. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Sweet coin @Cucumbor !!!

Cucumbor likes this.
  6. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

Here's my Hadrian/ Nilus drachm, I just posted this a few days ago, but here it is again.

[​IMG]

Hadrian 117-138 AD Æ Drachm (35mm, 15.4g) Dated yr 2 (117/8 AD) Alexandria

Laureate bust right, slight drapery. / Nilus reclining left, holding reed and cornucopia; below; L B (date) in ex. Köln 760.

To be honest, I was a little disappointed with this coin at first. For some reason it didn't click in my head that this coin would be as thin as it is (it's 10 g lighter Q's and ACH's), just doesn't feel as nice in hand.

7. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

8. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

We need to appreciate how important the Nile flood was to Egypt. Thatwill explain why these are co common and well circulated.
    pa0230bb0323.jpg

Serapis tetradrachm from the same year
    pa0225fd3229hd.jpg

9. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

This one adds to the reverse scene a domed Nilometer, with a little Genius standing before it inscribing the desired Iς ('16 cubits') reading of the Nile waters.

Antoninus Pius - Drachm Nilometer 2092.jpg
    ANTONINUS PIUS
    AE Drachm. 21.28g, 32.3mm. EGYPT, Alexandria, RY 17 (AD 153-154). RPC 14929 (this coin cited). Dattari-Savio Pl. 141, 2763 (this coin). O: Laureate head right. R: Nilus, with crocodile beside him, reclining left, holding reed and cornucopia from which issues Genius holding wreath; to left, a dome Nilometer inscribed Iς (for 16 cubits), in front of which stands a Genius; L-IZ (date) in field.
    Ex Dattari Collection

Draft saved Draft deleted