Most important factor for IDEAL TPGS?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Insider, Sep 29, 2016.

1. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

I'm having a heated argument with some PNG dealers. To me the answer to this question is a No Brainer. Please READ THE CONDITIONS of the question and let me know what you think.

Consider four TPGS. ALL are EQUAL IN EVERY WAY. Please do not try to find any difference as this is a hypothetical exercise to prove my point. They ALL GRADE BY THE SAME Standards. They all CHARGE the identical price for their service. The ONLY DIFFERENCE (EDIT#1: all holders the same quality and appearance. EDIT#2: Customer service identical.) is their speed of service.

EDIT#3 Which should not have been needed :(: NO actual TPGS are to be mentioned. This is a hypothetical! I wish to prove to some people who affect all of us SPEED OF SERVICE is most important ALL other factors being equal.

In this scenario (EVERYTHING EQUAL) I believe the TPGS that returns the coins back the quickest is the most important and ONLY factor to consider.

Do any members disagree and why. Thanks for taking the time to read this and answer.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. okbustchaser

okbustchaser I may be old but I still appreciate a pretty bust Supporter

The only thing that would matter to me in that situation would be the ease with which the coin could be removed from its tomb.

Andres2, Jwt708, Paul M. and 2 others like this.
  4. Insider

Your post is humorous, honest! However, I guess we'll just end up with a bunch of funny replies and nonsense to a serious question.

SO, HOW ABOUT THIS? After making more jokes, does everyone think (all things being equal) the speed of return is the most important factor for a TPGS.

So instead of edited about turnaround times at the TPGS, please answer my question as some influential people are going to see the results.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2016
  5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

The holder means nothing to me.

The label means nothing to me.

However, if I were a dealer wanting to flip my latest acquisitions as quickly as possible, knowing that my competition wanted to do the same, the speed of service would obviously be the most important factor.

Chris

Grass Man and Insider like this.
  6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I was composing my response before this posted. Just so you know!

Chris

7. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

You just described what I've been preaching that we DESPERATELY NEED for soon to be going on 20 years now !!!

That said, speed of return is not the only thing worthy of consideration, The quality of the slab is also worthy of consideration in your scenario for not all slabs are equal.

spirityoda and Kentucky like this.
  8. Dave M

Dave M Francophiliac

Maybe I'm not understanding the conditions of the question, but if TPGS A's holder is a vinyl flip with a staple through it and they deliver it in 7 days, and TPGS B's holder is inert hard plastic, but they deliver it in 8 days, I will pick TPGS B.

spirityoda likes this.
  9. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

@Insider, I'll bite on your scenario and I'll tell you why I answer as I do. To me, because I submit coins for the reason I do, speed of turnaround is almost NEVER a consideration for me. Why? Because I STILL have never sold even one coin I have sent in for slabbing. Not then, not ever. I still own every coin I ever sent in. I have sold raw coins, I have sold coins I bought already slabbed. So to me, it's "all holder preference, all the time".

Grass Man and Insider like this.
  10. Insider

:bigtears: Okay, Okay, all the slabs are the same. :facepalm:

Kentucky likes this.
  11. Insider

HOLDERS DON'T change anything. ONLY difference is Speed of return.

SO FAR I've received one answer, one partial answer w/qualifier, and two non-answers. Looks like this thread may not be of any value that I hoped for. :D

12. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

This is about the dumbest question there can be, since it is obviously not possible. If ALL companies grade the exact same, in the same holder, etc etc, and the speed is the only difference, then OBVIOUSLY that is all that matters, since it is the only difference. Too bad the scenario is so fictional that it is a stupid question.

Smojo likes this.
  13. V. Kurt Bellman

If they are literally identical in all respects, and not just the same "quality", meaning there aren't even aesthetic differences, then speed is good. But there is one other factor you neither included nor excluded. Since the VAST majority of my orders are delivered in person at shows (In fact, it's rare that I ship, although I have.), the friendliness of the staff is more important to me than speed.

Paul M. and Insider like this.
  14. Insider

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious: Then I know two services you don't use! :oops::muted:

15. V. Kurt Bellman

For the reasons I stated above that ARE important to me - the aesthetics of the slab's appearance and friendliness of the staff (maybe I get a favorable bias because I interact with them outside of just submitting coins, such as doing P.A. announcements for them at ANA's), I use NGC exclusively.

By the way, fancy schmancy labels are so unimportant to me they're almost a detriment.

16. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Oh good God. I was waiting for you to do that. Didn't take long

17. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Of coarse you do Kurt. You're an ANA super fanboy. I would expect nothing less :p

18. V. Kurt Bellman

Well, I was going to call myself an unpaid ANA ho', which of course just means "slut".

Kentucky likes this.
  19. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

OP, of course if you held pricing, quality, and basically everything else equal, then customer service would be the competing variable. In your exercise you have this expressed as speed of turnaround, so yes, this would be the factor on which TPGs competed. If you opened it up to allow other aspects of customer service, like going to shows, participating in industry events, invoicing terms, etc. then it would be muddier as all of these would also come into play.

However, as you lay it out, speed of turnaround would be the main competitive force in your scenario.

Insider likes this.
  20. Insider

No it didn't :p

FACT: Some TPGS treat their "small" customers just the same as the "Big Guys." Customer service is important on the phone and in person.

21. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Guys, this threads endgame was meant to advertise and praise segs/icg. Wasn't that obvious from the beginning with such foolish parameters

Draft saved Draft deleted