Most Hideous Portraits on Coinage!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Evan Saltis, Mar 25, 2023.

1. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

Yes she did. What a disgrace that was.

Bruce

longnine009 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

A London coin dealer told me that the rare Proof Churchill crowns were nicer. I have seen a couple of them offered for sale at many times the price you will pay for the usual pieces. From the photos, they don't look that much better to me.

Chris B likes this.
  4. johnmilton

If you are looking for ugly examples of the human face, just about any medieval hammered British coin will qualify. This is Henry VI. They all pretty much looked the same in those days.

Henry VI Groat.jpg

This might be worse. This is Henry II, although it was actually issued on behalf of Richard I (a.k.a. Richard the Lion Heart). Richard cared a lot more for his French holdings than "boring old England." He spent less time in England, about 9 months, than any other British monarch.

Richard I Eng Pen.jpg

This is a modern political token. The portraits are supposed to be Kennedy and Johnson. The artwork on 19th century political tokens was quite good sometimes, but the modern stuff is usually pretty bad.

JFK LBJ Token O.jpg JFK LBJ Token R.jpg

Last edited: Mar 27, 2023
    BRandM and Chris B like this.
  5. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

Would the 1984 Los Angeles Olympics commens be considered hideous if they don't actually have heads to look at?

I always believed they'd look much better as counter stamped satire tokens: "Good For One #0 Haircut At The Tower Of London Barber shop."

6. JimsOkay

JimsOkay Active Member

It is such a different looking coin, but I could never put my finger on why. You may have answered this for me. :)

Chris B likes this.
  7. BRandM

Look almost like caricature portraits. If that were the intent, then they succeeded

Bruce

8. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

9. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

10. johnmilton

It was really a matter of poor medieval artistry. No one made fun of the king in those days unless they were prepared to defend themselves, go to prison, leave the country or perhaps face beheading.

The changeover occurred during the reign of Henry VII. (ruled 1485 to 1509) The first Henry VII coins looked like this.

Henry VII Med Style Groat.jpg

in the opening years of the 16th century, the coin portraits looked like this.

Henry VII Ren Style Groat.jpg

The coins were still hammer struck, but the artwork greatly improved.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2023
    BRandM, Chris B and LakeEffect like this.
  11. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

12. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Diana looks like a member of The Beatles with a necklace.

13. longnine009

That's definitely a Best Answer.

14. BRandM

I was referring to the Kennedy / Johnson token not the old hammer struck coins.

Bruce

15. longnine009

They got LBJ's Dumbo ears right. :p

16. johnmilton

I don’t think the cartoonish Kennedy - Johnson portraits were intentional, although they may have been. The same company put out a Nixon - Lodge token as well, and it is similar.

Nixon Lodge 1960 O.jpg Nixon Lodge 1960 R.jpg

Last edited: Mar 29, 2023
Draft saved Draft deleted