Most beautiful Coin you own...

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by AdamsCollection, Nov 25, 2019.

1. AdamsCollection

AdamsCollection Well-Known Member

Hey CoinTalk! Curious to see what everyone deems as their most beautiful coin they own! (Or at least, since its impossible to say for sure the most beautiful, the coin that catches your eye first in your collection!) Regardless if it's US, World, Ancient, Medieval, toned, error, etcetera post your TOP coin in your collection!

Sometimes coins are just so gorgeous and wonderful works of art we just HAVE to buy it! Here are two of my favorite coins, both world coins and similar in style. My photos really don't do them justice, sorry for the poor photography skills! :)

francewow2.jpg francewow1.jpg

The first coin, my favorite coin in terms of artistic style is this 1960 5 Francs, from the Republic of France. I think the way the sun gently sits in the background and liberty's dress so eloquently flows and flutters in the wind just speaks for itself. The obverse is nice too, but the primary side is the reverse.

The second coin, is an Italy 20C from 1909, you can see the similarity pretty quickly, the flowing and fluttering dress over her as she flies through the air over a detailed shield. The reverse on this one also has its own beauty in its simplicity. Italyflying1.jpg Italyflying2.jpg
    These are my top two coins that I have in my collection, hopefully these were two good candidates to kick this off!
    Please post only coins you have or had in your collection!

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Islander80-83

Islander80-83 Well-Known Member

Most beautiful? That's not a easy answer for most of us. My opinions of my coins change everyday. I gotta think about that one.

Kevin Mader and AdamsCollection like this.
  4. Chris B

Chris B Supporter! Supporter

Impossible to pick just one but this one would have to be in the running.

GerFra186305.jpg

Trimbit, Larry E, coin_nut and 9 others like this.
  5. AdamsCollection

. Indeed it is impossible to truly say, I guess just post a beautiful coin you have! Whatever catches your eye first when your look through your collection.

Islander80-83 likes this.
  6. AdamsCollection

Crazy amount of detail on that, that truly is a work of art!

7. Islander80-83

I know. I think all coins are beautiful and tell their own stories. Let me go check, stby....

AdamsCollection likes this.
  8. Chris B

Chris B Supporter! Supporter

2 from San Marino that would also have to be in consideration.

San189805.jpg
    San193505.jpg

Hiddendragon, coin_nut, markr and 6 others like this.
  9. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I have several answers to this question.... There are probably 5 which I'd rank as a Tie for "most beautiful I'd own."

I'll post the first one, and then maybe later post more?

First up, in the category: Most beautiful toning on a Classic Coin, I present this 1830 Capped Bust Half.

JPA971 obverse.jpg JPA971 reverse.jpg

10. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Although, admittedly, even this category is a tie:

JPA883 obverse.jpg JPA883 reverse.jpg

11. Islander80-83

12. AdamsCollection

Gorgeous coins!!!!

13. AdamsCollection

Islander80-83 likes this.
  14. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

15. AdamsCollection

16. Dave M

Dave M Francophiliac

I happen to be a big fan of the French coins, and agree that sower is fantastic. I think you have your obverse/reverse backward though - the front of that coin is the side with the sower on it.

Here's my vote for one of the most beautiful, the Marianne by JC Chaplain.
    [​IMG]

17. AdamsCollection

I recently learned that a lot of early American coinage was heavily inspired by the French. So if you love US coins, you’ll probably love French coins too!

18. NSP

NSP Well-Known Member

My vote for most beautiful is probably the 1935 Connecticut Tercentenary Half Dollar. My parents got me this example as a college graduation gift, so it’s a coin that I will treasure for many years.

B58483F6-6F39-41E7-8E62-6DF1B4CF3B8C.jpeg 286F020B-97A2-43B1-B30F-C01992B2ACB9.jpeg

19. Coinsandmedals

Coinsandmedals Well-Known Member

There are some fantastic coins in this thread!

This 1822 Ireland bronzed proof halfpenny is a stunner in hand, but I also really enjoy the design and aesthetics of this circulated 1788 pattern Halfpenny. I have a few in my "box of 20 keepers" that very attractive to me.

1822 Ireland Bronzed Halfpenny S-6624 PCGS PR-63.jpg
    1788 Great Britain Pattern HalfPenny P-945 NGC PF-50 BN Skinner Collection.jpg

AcesKings, Harpo, coin_nut and 10 others like this.
  20. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Both are first year of issue proofs.

40FB7B98-9254-4BE8-9E56-F01F09AA42D3.jpeg 2673311F-44B2-4184-9F7F-46C7E9687EFD.jpeg 4D06B3FA-D32B-4A2C-9652-DED5B1F798AE.jpeg D36FB397-6FED-4AE3-9028-F7049E99F149.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
  21. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

As a rail fan I really like this one 2017 4-4-0 A1-horz.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted