Most Attractive World Banknotes?

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by RedSeals, Dec 30, 2012.

1. ephyfe

ephyfe Member

I want to see a Thai banknote with a big picture of Erawan in the center

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. MMMM

MMMM New Member

4. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

The Wagnerian dragon makes this note a classic:

[​IMG]

5. petronius

petronius Duke

Paper money made ​​its first appearance in the Papal States during the reign of Pius VI (1775-1799) because of a shortage of coins.
    Two banks in Rome, Sacro Monte della Pietà and Banco di Santo Spirito issued "cedole" (coupons) denominated as "Scudi romani", very similar to each other but forming a variety of more than 2,000 types, due the two banks, the values ​​(from 3 to 3,000 scudi) and the date, from 1785 to 1799.

From my collection, 18 Scudi Banco di Santo Spirito, January 12th, 1786

18scudi bss 1786.jpg

and 35 Scudi Sacro Monte della Pietà, May 1st, 1799.

35scudi smpD.jpg

35scudi smpR.jpg

petronius :smile

6. mackwork

mackwork Caretaker of old coins & currency

These just arrived in the mail. I wanted a couple examples of the polymer type currency that Canada and many other countries have gone to. They have a strange feel to them, but I guess that's expected since they aren't paper. These were only a couple bucks each, and I wanted some with really nice color. Both of these are 6.25 x 3.0 inches. Made of untearable polymer, biaxially oriented polypropylene, with several anti-counterfeiting devices. Issued for use in Antarctica by Antarctic Overseas Exchange Office.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. petronius

petronius Duke

1,000 francs 1943, Vichy Republic

1000vichyD.jpg

1000vichyR.jpg

5,000 francs 1942, occupied France

5000francs1942d.jpg

5000francs1942r.jpg

George McClellan likes this.
  8. ephyfe

ephyfe Member

1,000 francs 1943, Vichy Republic

that top note looks nice, haven't seen it yet and it's in good shape

9. petronius

petronius Duke

Thank you ephyfe :)

During German occupation in WWII, France issued two types of notes. In the North, directly occupied by Germans, they continued to issue the same notes as before the war: 5,000 francs (shown above) first issue was 1938.

In the South, Nazis formed the puppet state of Vichy Republic, formally independent, but actually strictly controlled by Germans. Vichy Republic issued new types of notes (and coins) with new design.

1,000 francs shows goddess Ceres seated on front. In ancient Rome, Ceres was the goddess of agriculture, grain crops, fertility and motherly relationships.
    On back, Mercury, a major Roman god. He was the patron god of financial gain, commerce, eloquence (and thus poetry), messages/communication (including divination), travelers, boundaries, luck, trickery and thieves; he was also the guide of souls to the underworld.

Here, two other notes from Vichy (and from my collection ;)).

5 francs 1943, Pyrenean sheperd at right, woman and flowers on back

5vichyD.jpg

5vichyR.jpg

10 francs 1942, Miners at left, cows and farm woman with child on back

10vichyD.jpg

10vichyR.jpg

petronius :cool:

10. ephyfe

ephyfe Member

I'm sort of new in the world paper currency area (3 years or so), been collecting 1970 to present day notes in different areas of the world (mainly asia, egypt and saudi arabia notes). So I haven't seen these designs yet. They are bold with nice color and design, plenty of interest in those I'm sure. Thanks for the history info. I'm not bad at history but this is something you just don't hear about.

11. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

A nice informative presentation petronius. Thanks for the history lesson and showing us your beautiful notes.

Bruce

12. petronius

petronius Duke

Thank you ephyfe and BRandM :smile

And completing the serie...:rolleyes:

20 francs 1943, Breton fisherman at right, on back women in traditional Breton dress and Breton calvary statuary

20vichyD.jpg

20vichyR.jpg

100 francs 1944, Descartes at right, angel on back. This is the rarest note of the serie.

100vichyD.jpg

100vichyR.jpg

You can see 50 francs at page 3, post #36.

Also after the end of the war, the collapse of Vichy Republic, and the reunification of the country, some of these notes continued to be issued: 5 francs (until October 1947), 10 francs (June 1949) and 20 francs (February 1950).

petronius :cool:

13. Dave M

Dave M Francophiliac

Petronius, This is quite interesting. I haven't seen this distinction of notes issued under Vichy vs Free France before. What is the source of this info?

Thanks
    Dave

14. petronius

petronius Duke

Hi Dave, many sources...and years of studies :rolleyes:

I study and collect WWII notes and coins since 1996, and I have many books and magazines about those.

Most of them are in Italian, of course, but the most complete reference is an American book...this :thumb:

World War II Remembered - A Numismatic Study

On web there are many informations about history of Vichy, but I found few informations, in English, about notes (more about coins).

You can try to make a search in French, but...Italian is better :rolleyes:

I wrote, in 2007, a study of Vichy notes for the forum lamoneta.it. It's in Italian, but I think you can have an acceptable translation with Google Translator

http://www.lamoneta.it/topic/20364-la-francia-di-vichy/

To see the images (the notes are the same as here) you must register, it is very simple, as on CT.

For any question about these notes, or for registration in Italian forum, don't hesitate to contact me.

ciao

15. Manbeast

Manbeast Collector

16. lettow

lettow Senior Member

One thing that is important to note about the occupied vs. Vichy France notes is that they were all issued by the Bank of France. It was not a matter of the occupied area issuing notes that only circulated in the occupied area and the Vichy government issuing notes that only circulated in the rest of the country. All Bank of France notes were valid in the entire country whether occupied or Vichy.

17. Aramis

Aramis New Member

Could that be the 2010 100 peso error note? :smile

18. petronius

petronius Duke

It's right :thumb:

And from France to Belgium.

In this 1942 Belgian note, as you can see, the value is in two different currencies, 500 francs, or 100 belgas. Belgas was the currency used in the Flemish provinces, at rate of 5 francs for one belga.
    The first note of this type was printed in 1927, and until 1944, when it returned to single name in francs, that remained until Euro notes.

Notes dated 1942-1943 were printed in England, by government in exile (Belgium was occupied by Nazis).

100belgasD.jpg

100belgasR.jpg

19. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Belgium:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Has to be one of the very few depictions of a lacemaker on a banknote.

20. will.i.am

will.i.am New Member

21. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Side note - the term "belga" was used in all of Belgium. There are coins with inscriptions solely in French that will still say "10 francs ou deux belgas" for example. Here is an article from the Belgian central bank's museum, in English, which explains the economic background for the decision to introduce (or rather add) the belga: http://www.nbbmuseum.be/nl/2007/03/belga.htm?lang=en

Christian

Draft saved Draft deleted