"Morgan's Schoolgirl", Private Mint - worthless, or not?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by ZoidMeister, Jan 8, 2021.

1. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Hamlet Squire of Tomfoolery . . . . .

Well, that's why I bought them.

I value your opinion @lordmarcovan . What would you think a reasonable price should be for these? I would like an honest opinion. Don't worry about "hurting my feelings" . . . .

meme - can't hurt feelings.JPG

I sincerely would like to know. Yours and others opinion on their "value" . . .

I'll let you know how badly I did once I get some idea of the general consensus.

Z

lordmarcovan likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

Kinda cool. I like the look, she’s kinda hot

ZoidMeister likes this.
  4. hotwheelsearl

I got a few provincial bronzes for rock bottom prices from the guy

ZoidMeister likes this.
  5. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Indeed. I also picked up a late Roman bronze in one of his holders, which was from a 1960s British hoard discovery, and had the find spot and find date listed on the label, which was helpful. I left that one in the NNC plastic. Gave the coin to Dan Carlin, host of the Hardcore History podcast.

Sometimes Centsles' shady plastic and less than stellar reputation can actually be an advantage, since it keeps prices down. I say he's not an outright crook, because odds are, you will receive the coin(s) pictured. And if you're OK with what you see, and ignore what the plastic says (unless it is relevant provenance), then he is OK to do business with.

ZoidMeister and hotwheelsearl like this.
  6. hotwheelsearl

Several years ago I wanted to become a basement slabber. I spend about $100 on supplies - slabs, inserts, and even holographic stickers with a dumb name and logo I came up with:
    GGG - Good Guy Grading
    The idea was to undergrade by 5 points so that people would he surprised with getting a better coin than expected.

that proved to be a tremendously dumb and point less idea so I sold all the supplies for like $40 and decided never to waste money on dumb ideas again.

7. lordmarcovan

Sorry, I overlooked your question there. Personally? I'd not have much interest in these, but would probably go there in the neighborhood of $10-15 each, tops, as novelty/fantasy issues, and maybe mark them for sale at $20-25 tops. At most. More realistically, I'd be a firm buyer if the pricetag was single-digit.

Now that is admittedly pulling my own numbers out of thin air, mind you. They do have some potential appeal for some folks as modern fantasy issues, and I'd have no shame in listing them in my regular giveaways as such, but my personal interest in them is slim. Not nonexistent, but close to it. I'd treat them the same way I would a lot of modern tokens or medals.

ZoidMeister likes this.
  8. lordmarcovan

Zoid- if you bought them because you thought they were pretty, and you knew you weren't getting a real Schoolgirl dollar pattern from the 19th century, as I expect you did, then there's nothing wrong with having them and enjoying them.

As far as reselling them, well, I dunno what you paid, but that might be tough. But if you bought 'em to hold and enjoy, in full knowledge of what they are, then I reckon there ain't a thing wrong with that.

9. hotwheelsearl

Sometimes I end up with one of those Bradford exchange medals, those oversized quarter eagle “proof” things.

I’ve sold them for anywhere between 7 and 10 on eBay, which is really more like $4 after shipping and fees

ZoidMeister likes this.
  10. ddddd

ddddd Member

@ZoidMeister the $2,250 example you saw (if it's the same one I found on eBay) is 1 oz Gold, which explains the price. The other metal types seem to go anywhere from $10 - $80 (depending on auction vs bin and condition). There are many different designs and most I've seen are in ICG or NNC (centsles) holders. Occasionally one gets bid up high (at least some of the time I believe it is people mistaking it for a rare pattern). I once watched a different design (not the schoolgirl) in an ICG slab get bid up over $300. I then won the same design from centsles for ~$11 (also an ICG holder). I put it up for sale for $50 or best offer (to test out the demand) and had no interest. After a while I decided to use it as a free gift with a sold item.

I'd value the Morgan schoolgirl at around $25. If one is selling and is patient, ~$50 might be possible but if one wants a quick sale (auction) I could easily see $10-$15 (unless you get two bidders that really want it).

11. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

Did you get taken? Depends on what you paid. They are worth $20 max for the pair. If you like them, and you are in at that level, you won't get hurt. Any more, and you had better really love them.

ZoidMeister likes this.
  12. ZoidMeister

Folks ,

Thanks for all your guidance. I had huge concerns after discovering the thread on Centsles. I saw those high listing prices but would never pay that much for a strike that's marked COPY unless it has some serious provenance like a Ron Landis piece, which I have also picked up.

The design of these were intriguing. These two were being sold, not as fixed price, but at auctions starting at $1. I put in a couple pretty low maximum bids, thinking that I would easily get outbid. Then I could watch them and get a feel for where the REAL market value was. I do that a lot on pieces I like but am ignorant of the values.

Well, there were multiple other bidders on these, each piece drawing 17 bids, but I didn't get outbid as planned. My low "entry bid" just wasn't low enough it seems.

Z

ddddd likes this.
  13. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

He probably has dozens of examples, so everyone won one or two in the auction!

14. goossen

goossen Senior Member

I can’t really comment on the value. Plus, personally I don’t collect as investment, I collect bc I like the coins and hopefully one day I’ll pass them to someone who also likes them and is not only interested in the monetary value.

that said, I like the pieces you posted and probably would have bought them. I think you made a good acquisition

15. ZoidMeister

Sorry for dropping out of the conversation most of the day yesterday. Had kitchen remodel sales weasels to meet with and an audiologist appointment that sucked the time out of the day.

Bidding was spirited across both examples, each garnering 17 bids a piece in total.

Fortunately, my "low bids" that won weren't all that bad. Here is what I paid . . . .

I did get a bit of a discount on combined shipping when I asked.

Z

Screenshot_20210109-101349_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20210109-101443_eBay.jpg

ddddd and Heavymetal like this.
  16. lordmarcovan

I am relieved for your sake. At those prices, I’d buy them myself, hypothetically speaking. IMHO, you did just fine.

ZoidMeister, goossen and kountryken like this.
  17. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Honestly? Collecting things like these is an acquired taste.

It's like Brie. Brie stinks, it smells, it hangs all over you. But some people like it. What are you going to do? :)

DEA and lordmarcovan like this.
  18. lordmarcovan

The puffy-cheeked portraiture does seem a rather cartoonish caricature of the original Morgan design.

But considering this real one sold for $75,750 (maybe not even including the buyer's fee) :greedy:, I'd say ten or eleven bucks for a cheap copy is a much more budget-friendly alternative. ;)

ZoidMeister likes this.
  19. IMO: You did not overpay, especially if you like them. TC

lordmarcovan likes this.
  20. Phil's Coins

Phil's Coins Well-Known Member

If you like them buy them, if not spend your $$ wisely and not on trinkets. JMO

21. CaptHenway

CaptHenway Survivor

As unmarked Imitation Numismatic Items they are illegal under the Hobby Protection Act of 1973, and as such they are, to me, worthless.

Draft saved Draft deleted