Morgans can still have bagmarks, and be MS 68 or 69

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Morgandude11, Jun 18, 2021.

1. bradgator2

bradgator2 Well-Known Member

Exact reason why I picked this one up. I have studied every detail of this coin…. It’s no 64:
    C2CC0889-34F9-4D69-9F9E-6093A99FD31C.jpeg
    A7745B99-54B9-4438-84A0-CB645A7D3225.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

That coin has several minor hits in the fields. The cheeks are clean and the strike is good. The problem with that coin is it's an 1881-S. TPGs hold that coin in particular to a much higher standard than the rest of the Morgan series (along with 1880-S and 1882-S). To get a higher grade than MS64 on an 1881-S, the coin has to be really special.

I'm not knocking it...it's a lovely coin. But, that date really gets scrutinized.

4. bradgator2

bradgator2 Well-Known Member

I agree with everything you are saying. And although I think you’re correct, I also think it’s silly. That coin shouldn’t be held to a different standard just because of the date. Even though I know it is.

I remember when I saw that coin and the price it was going for. I already had my knockout 81 S and I avoid buying duplicates. But I couldn’t let this one pass.

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  5. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

6. CamaroDMD

I've been kind of torn on this issue myself. The problem I run into is this. The 1881-S Morgan is really a different coin than say the 1892-O. The strike is a ton different, the luster is a ton different. Can they really be fairly graded the same? I just don't know that they can.

Think of early teen Lincoln's with their epic strikes and quality and compare them to 1922-D Lincolns. Just totally different coins and you just can't evaluate them the same.

Omegaraptor and RonSanderson like this.
  7. COOPER12

COOPER12 Well-Known Member

I agree sad but true , my 1880 s is ms-65 ngc and looks better to me and is pushing proof like . I am just happy to look at it regardless

8. CamaroDMD

I don't know if I would call it "sad" it's just an exceptional issue and as a result it's graded accordingly. Too bad the whole series wasn't made with such care.

Here is my 1880-S. This coin is absolutely stunning in hand (much better than the photos make it seem). Even being an 80-S, I could see it earning a 65. It's graded MS64DMPL. On any other date than an 80-S or 81-S...this coin is a 65, maybe even a 65+.

[​IMG]

9. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

Not more than a 64 to me. Some obvious hits on the cheek. Some surface contact in the obverse left hand fields. It is an 1881s, and is penalized for every bit of contact. Any other date, aside from 80s, 81s, it is a 65. Just not for that date, as TPGs are brutal on that date. That is a really pretty coin, but I would buy it as a 64.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2021
  10. PamR

PamR You Never Know! Supporter

If I may ask, can I post two Morgan’s?
    I posted a while back. I have read, that it is advised not to polish? I do not want to damage them.

john65999 likes this.
  11. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

Absolutely. Post them if you feel like it. Whatever you do DO NOT clean them.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2021
    GoldFinger1969 and john65999 like this.
  12. john65999

john65999 Well-Known Member

never say never, you might win powerball, if i did i would spend about half on coins...lol

COOPER12 and John Skelton like this.
  13. john65999

john65999 Well-Known Member

14. Derek2200

Derek2200 Well-Known Member

Yep I see those marks!

Unbelievable - not a fan of big ticket stuff nor shelling out big$ for CAC. Good luck getting all the money on that coin. Who in the world would buy it paying the CAC value around 5000. I guess some billionaire.

Would just buy a nice MS 64 for what $115.

FYI the CAC premium per CPG on that 82-S around $1200 vs non CAC.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2021
Draft saved Draft deleted