morgan toner

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by johnmatt, May 3, 2016.

1. johnmatt

johnmatt Well-Known Member

20160503_120548.jpg 20160503_120504.jpg Hi everybody. Had some free time today and decided to go through some BU rolled morgans my 88 year old mother has been saving forever. Looking for exceptional quality, toning etc. and I came across this 1883o. The obverse isn't much to look at but the reverse- WOW

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Killer reverse. Can you post better pics of the obverse too please

4. johnmatt

yeah Bill, I will take some more pics tomorrow. It's funny, it came out of a plastic coin tube with none of the other coins around it showing any toning. Kinda caught me by surprise to see it in there.

5. Mainebill

Looks like a bag toner. It toned in the mint bag. From what I see so far it looks like a ms 63 with a monster reverse

6. johnmatt

7. johnmatt

oops

Attached Files:

8. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

White balance big time.........employ most urgently.

9. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

I don't see any evidence of bag toning , also to me it almost looks like an MS-70 job . But I'm no expert on toning just know what I've seen . I think this would get questionable color from the tpgs .

10. green18

I've had a few Morgans in manilla flips (kept for years in storage) that look similar.

11. green18

Manila.....

rzage likes this.
  12. johnmatt

Hopefully improved photo... 2016-05-04 18.11.27.jpg 20160503_120548.jpg

Attached Files:

13. johnmatt

Obverse is very boring with some bagginess and a wee bit of toning on 1 edge- reverse is way cool.

14. Mainebill

Looks like a 63. But no idea if they'd like the color or no

Morgandude11 likes this.
  15. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Ken were they dipped once , or kept in a high humidity area ?

16. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

Looks like album toning on the reverse. Really nice magenta toning on the reverse. I think album, as opposed to Manila, due to the direct contact pattern.

17. johnmatt

18. johnmatt

she came back as a 63, I think the reverse probably bumped her up a point or 2.

19. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Nice. She's a solid 63 net grade for sure. They don't really give bumps for color at least in my experience. Do me a favor and check it against VAM-2

Oh, and tell me you asked them to slab it reverse out. Pcgs has a habit of not doing that unless asked yet ngc will do it all on their own if a coin requires it due to an exceptional reverse

johnmatt likes this.
  20. johnmatt

I don't have the coin back yet, going to pick it up at the long beach show. When I submitted it at the pre-show dropoff I asked that it be slabbed reverse out. When I checked the paperwork later, I noticed they made no note of my request. Hopefully they got it right, but don't yet know for sure. My faith in pcgs has been shaken some in recent times but if they do get it bassackwards hopefully they will fix it.

21. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Cool. If it is obv out just let them know you requested rev out and they should fix it but I would do it first thing cuz it may take them a few hours

johnmatt likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted