Morgan Silver Dollars

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by jrs146, Sep 22, 2016.

1. jrs146

jrs146 Active Member

Hi everyone,
    First time posting on here!
    I was going through my safety deposit box today and I thought I'd pull out a few coins that I own. I was given these over 20 years ago by my father and always enjoyed looking at them. I have never given much thought to value or if they are rare. I did some googling and of course found out that it's all about condition. It seems like quite a headache to get coins graded but I'm now very curious as to the quality of these. My question would be what do you recommend? Should I send these in for grading?

Two of the coins are uncirculated Carson City Morgan's. I have the original box for one and both are encased in their original case.

The third is not in as good condition and seems to have been circulated. I appreciate any thoughts. My apologies for the poor photos. I'm happy to take more if needed.

Most of the blemishes on the first two coins are from the case, not the actual coin themselves.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
    Eric White, Paddy54 and Skyman like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

The GSA dollars would certainly benefit from grading. I'd suggest that you send them to NGC in the case and have them label the case.

Santinidollar likes this.
  4. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Btw, the 95-O is a relatively valuable coin as well. I'd grade it G-4 and the other two look to be about MS-63.

Santinidollar likes this.
  5. jrs146

jrs146 Active Member

Thank you for that response. Which grading company do you recommend. When comparing the CC's online to other graded coins I thought they looked pretty darn nice. I'm very curious to see how they would come back. Here's another shot of the 1880

[​IMG]

Paddy54 likes this.
  6. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Make sure to research GSA Morgan dollars.

7. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I'd like to see better photos of the 82-CC. You should move your light source out at a 45 degree angle at 10 & 2 o'clock and take the photos from directly overhead. That way, the light will bounce away from the lens instead of right into it.

If you will note, the case for the 82-CC is not marked "Uncirculated Silver Dollar" like the 80-CC. That usually means that there was a problem with the coin. It may be nothing serious, but it might also keep it from grading MS. If that is the case, it wouldn't be worth submitting for grading.

Chris

8. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

NGC does a nice job on the GSA holders. I'd sure do the 1880CC. The 1882CC doesn't have big price jumps between grades in lower mint state, but I'd probably send it along. I probably wouldn't send in the 1895O, unless I questioned the authenticity. I agree with probably a G4 grade, some of the central detail is better then that on the obverse but there is the uneven rim wear and the reverse rim wear.
    Incidentally there are products like Slab Renew or headlight polishes that would polish up the plastic holders.
    Nice coins!

9. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Truth. Probably close to a $100 coin on its' own, although I don't know if they'd give G4 with the reverse rim that worn in.

10. jrs146

jrs146 Active Member

Here are some better pics

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Paddy54 likes this.
  11. cpm9ball

If it were me, I'd submit just the 1880-CC. Use NGC because they will grade it in the original GSA case so that it can be put back in the original GSA box. PCGS puts the entire GSA case in their slab. It's fugly!

The 1882-CC has some sort of smudge on the eagle's body which is probably why the Mint didn't put it in an "Uncirculated" case. It is one of the most common CC's. About 10 years ago, I bought a 19-coin roll of uncirculated 82-CC's for $160 per coin.

Chris

12. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

The reason for this, jrs146, is that nearly half the total mintage of 1882-CC was released in the GSA sales. They're actually pretty darn common in Mint State, and only the mint mark keeps their prices elevated.

13. cpm9ball

Zackly!

Chris

14. jrs146

jrs146 Active Member

Thanks for the excellent info. I will take your advise and only send in the 1880.

My father has a few more of these somewhere. I'll ask him to bring them next time I see him and I'll take a look at those also. Thanks this has been a lot of fun!

Josh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. David Setree Rare Coins

David Setree Rare Coins Well-Known Member

I, personally wouldn't grade any of them unless the 1880 is the "reverse of 1878" variety. One would have to get a MS65 or better to raise the value enough to cover the cost of grading not to mention the hassle.

1880 $500.00
    1882 $185.00
    1895 O $200.00

IMHO.

David

16. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

I would send out the 1880CC to NGC to get the ribbon on it. I do think the value of that coin is pretty well established, though--looks like a typical CC of that date. The 1895o is a very good date, and in that condition, I agree it would be worth about $100-150. None of the others needs grading as they are pretty common date and value isn't really in question, nor would authenticity be.

17. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

The 80 cc looks like the "rev. of 78". I can,t tell from the pic.

18. jrs146

jrs146 Active Member

I can take more if that would help. I looked while I was doing my research and thought that it was not but I really don't know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Nope. Its the rev of 79 unfortunately

20. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

Thanks!

21. jrs146

jrs146 Active Member

So when submitting to NGC I have to register and pay to become a member, then I can send them in with the fees?

Draft saved Draft deleted