Morgan Silver Dollars of The Comstock Lode

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by pr615, Jan 11, 2009.

1. pr615

pr615 New Member

I have a set of Morgan Silver Dollars of The Comstock Lode. Comes in a box with the coins sealed and in plerfect condition. Does anyone know the value or do you need a picture?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. HandsomeToad

HandsomeToad Urinist

It would at least help to know the dates & mint marks, plus is it an uncirculated set? However, pics would take care of all of that. ;)

Ribbit :)

Ps: Welcome to CoinTalk! :hail:

4. pr615

pr615 New Member

Here is some pics and the paperwork

Please let me know how much this is worth. I am attaching a few pictures and also the paperwork I have with it.

Attached Files:

5. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

To be honest, none of those are Comstock Lode coins. The Peace dollar was made almost 80 years after the Comstock closed, and the others are minted in Philly. Granted, not just CC dollars were made from Comstock silver, but it would be impossible to tell without the mm where it's silver was mined if not a CC minted Morgan. Still, a nice set.
    Guy~

6. pr615

pr615 New Member

Interesting

The price for these in the early 90's was about $250. Sounds like someone was mislead. Do you think its even worth that?

How would I sale them?

7. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Hi Pr615, and welcome to the forum!

What Coleguy says is very true. I have read several advertisements for similar offerings. Most get around it by saying that the Morgan ( and evidently this company decided the 1922 Peace) came about because of all of the silver coming out of the Comstock mine.

Their logic " Comstock mine silver == caused => Morgn/Peace dollars. They prey on people wanting memorabilia of the "wild west". I can't tell what company produced yours or if the grading is close to being accurate. The one morgan looked reasonable from the photo, but hard to tell. If within the range designated, and there is a big difference between 60 and 63, maybe in the range of $150 - $200 ( guess). Sorry to say, the use of the word Porfolio would seem to indicate great value.

Jim

8. borgovan

borgovan Supporter**

From the pics, I doubt any of the coins are 63, but it's hard to say without better pictures.

My best guess is that they're MS-60, or possibly even AU sliders. If they are MS-60, you're looking at about $120 retail. If they're AU, about half of that. That's if you sell them yourself to a collector. If you sell to a dealer you may get less than that.

If you want to take the time to take better pictures, we can give you a better idea of the value.

Draft saved Draft deleted