Morgan silver dollar roll auction, scam or real?

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by AirborneReams, Sep 14, 2020.

1. Mike Thornton

Mike Thornton Learning something new everyday.

I would have to agree, an un-searched roll is a rare beast, nearly non existent. That said, I actually have several rolls of un-searched 1974 S cents I bought from the bank in 1974. The price of copper was high, new houses were being wired with aluminum wiring and the mint was experimenting with different metals that became the "zincolns". So I stashed about 10 rolls away. Looked them over a couple months ago and a couple of the end coins are starting to tone. So they do exist provided you or your family have owned them since new. Finding truly un-searched rolls in the wild could be compared with finding a mint state 69 S DDO in the wild.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Places where no one thinks to look. Because if we thought to look there, we'd buy them ourselves.

It's entirely a matter of being at the right place at the right time, and paying attention. Or, as someone else said, "chance favors the prepared mind".

LA_Geezer likes this.
  4. juris klavins

juris klavins Well-Known Member

Anyone bidding more than $500 for a roll of 90% silver dollar coins is in for a big disappointment - even $500 is too high if you get a bunch of worn, cull grade coins - the seller may tease you with two decent looking end coins, but the other 18 are likely to be well circulated common dates.
    Save your money and buy coins that you can eyeball in person.

5. LA_Geezer

LA_Geezer Well-Known Member

I recall similar words of wisdom from Alfred E. Newman some time about 1958. He said, "If you lose something, you will find it in the last place you look." :)

Given the historic nature of southern Louisiana, the likelihood of finding such a box is not all that likely.

6. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

He is a hoarder and saver just like his dad. I have no idea where he gets this stuff.

-jeffB and LA_Geezer like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted