Morgan silver dollar roll auction, scam or real?

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by AirborneReams, Sep 14, 2020.

1. AirborneReams

AirborneReams Supporter! Supporter

I wanted to know anyone’s experience or even advice for these coin roll auctions on eBay? I’ve purchased a handful of rolls from the main Morgan roll sellers, I’m sure if you use eBay you know who I’m talking about! My question is how “real” are these? I’ve gotten all uncirculated coins as stated but always a bunch of the same dates and I usually go for CC ends if possible, the CCs have always been 82, 83, and you guess it 84! I haven’t gotten any other CC dates or ever anything remotely rare inside any of them besides the CCs. Has anyone else had this same experience and if anyone knows of a legit company that sells or auctions not searched rolls please add that info! I sell mainly Morgan’s but are open to just about all old US coins. Thank you!!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

Welcome to CT. I think there is no such thing as an "unsearched roll" of anything.

4. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

Welcome to CT and the Morgan roll scam... There have been numerous threads regarding this scam over the years. I once looked into a seller's ebay activity and found a purchase of paper used for the shot gun rolls.
    Another big scam is the juiced Morgan images that look MS67 DMPL. No such thing raw.....

Inspector43 likes this.
  5. AirborneReams

No way! I never thought of checking their history, I’m sure the bigger guys are smart and have a separate account to do those purchases. It sucks because I’ve definitely flushed some money down the toilet. They also say PL/DMPL CC and the other side is just high quality...

Inspector43 likes this.
  6. AirborneReams

Thank you!! And I believe that 100% now after a few purchases...

Inspector43 likes this.
  7. manny9655

manny9655 Well-Known Member

Coin rolls weren't popularly used until the 1930s and 40s. What does that tell you? Yes, they were around before then, but they were few and far between.

Inspector43 and AirborneReams like this.
  8. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

My son just stopped by and dropped off a box of IHC's - probably 200 coins. I know it was not searched because the spread was 1864 to 1909 and about 10 coins short of a complete set.

Papa Sid, LA_Geezer, GH#75 and 3 others like this.
  9. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

now, that was unsearched

Inspector43 likes this.
  10. Silvergmen

Silvergmen SILVER & MORGAN Obsessed

Welcome to CT! Nobody is going to sell you unsearched morgans that may be way more valuable than the price they are selling it for. Let that dream go. A few of the best ways to get deals on morgans are below (buy beware, knowledge is key):

1) know how to grade them really well, as many people selling them do not. Even if they do, they often dont take the time to do it properly. This can score you a ms 65 for instance, when someone may have a raw coin marked 63 or 64.
    2) go to estate sales, as they sometimes have coins and sell them for less than their worth
    3) for a slabbed coin...look for people on ebay that post bad pictures, a lot of times you can get a nice discount on that coin. Also, some people under price coins for various reasons and deals can be had.
    4) some local coin stores dont do much on the internet and just go by greysheet. I have found a bunch of deals because they wanted to get rid of inventory, they were holding it a long time, or greysheet was just a lot lower than what you could actually get it from other sources. All those can give you a nice score.

Well, those are a few. Good deals take knowledge and time. Not coin roll hunting luck...for morgans anyway.

JeffC, Bayern and Inspector43 like this.
  11. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Everything has been searched at one time or another. I have thousands of coins in rolls. I've never looked at them. Does that mean they are unsearched? It depends. They are unsearched by me but they have been searched by others.

Inspector43 likes this.
  12. SC CO

SC CO New Member

Thank you for all the info on this thread! I am not going to bother buying a roll now.

13. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

That's a sound decision.

14. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

Nothing js I searched. It only happened to me once. I used to buy hundreds of coins from an eBay seller in large lots.

out of 1500+, one coin turned out to be a rare $200~ Commodus Herculi Romano denarius. It was so toned with so much horn silver it literally looked like a bronze coin.

Don’t expect that to ever happen again

15. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

I'd say never buy morgan or peace dollars online. You need to see them in person. Too many picture tricks to hide problem coins for my taste. If they were nice they wouldn't be on ebay really, they'd sell themselves at a shop or in a "real" auction without the terrible ebay photography for top dollar.

Really just setting yourself up for getting counterfeits or details coins by buying them on ebay.

16. Silvergmen

Silvergmen SILVER & MORGAN Obsessed

I totally disagree with not using ebay as a source for those coins. Although, i highly recommend buying only graded morgans/peace dollars. between the pictures, the graded slabs, the sellers return policy, and then ebay buy protection you have very little to worry about. I have purchased MANY morgans with no issues. As always, be smart, check sellers feedback, etc.

sambyrd44, LA_Geezer and Bayern like this.
  17. GH#75

GH#75 Trying to get 8 hours of sleep in 4. . .

Another thing you can do, is go on eBay, look up morgan dollars no reserve auction and make the filter ending soonest.

Silvergmen likes this.
  18. flbandit

flbandit New Member

I do this for most of my eBay activity. Sometimes you can catch an auction that seemed to escape notice, especially if you find one ending late at night.

LA_Geezer and GH#75 like this.
  19. LA_Geezer

LA_Geezer Well-Known Member

Where can I find such boxes?

Inspector43 likes this.
  20. LA_Geezer

LA_Geezer Well-Known Member

Same here, about 95% of my vintage silver coins—and ALL of my IHCs—came from reputable ebay sellers. At least three of them are members here with oodles of respect from the members who know them. There are a few others I check with often just to see what might have come in.

The ebay site has one other major advantage over those smaller auction sites who devote all their time to much higher-priced coins, and that is the ease of use of the site along with the various sniper apps that work solely on ebay. Chances are that one can usually find comparable quality coins on ebay, some even at lower prices.

Silvergmen likes this.
  21. Phil's Coins

Phil's Coins Well-Known Member

IF, you believe that 99.99999% of ANY of those individuals are selling you a roll of Morgans, etc. that are UNSEARCHED - after you purchase them please call me I have an UNBELIEVEABLE offer for you.

Inspector43 and LA_Geezer like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted