Morgan Questions & Slabs Possible Missed Error

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by NewCollectorRick, Aug 12, 2018.

1. NewCollectorRick

NewCollectorRick Active Member

These may be dumb questions but I have yet to send anything off to be graded or slabbed but say I send a Morgan to be graded. If you do not say there is this error or that error will it not be attributed for that?

Reason I'm asking is because I have a NGC MS64 1880 S Morgan that I've had for 2 years and finally looked at it closely and almost missed it but there are major clashes on it.
    Are clashes something they would have listed on the grade at top of the slab?
    Any replies are appreciated.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

Clashes are not considered errors but if there is letter transfer from the clash event it will be a listed variety known as a VAM. I suggest you cruise through VAMworld in the 101 section for starters. Welcome to VAMming! http://www.vamworld.com/

Edit to add - NGC and PCGS will only recognize specific VAMs, typically the top100, hot50 and hit list40 along with a few others but (NGC) leave the VAM weenie stuff to ANACS, SEGS and ICG.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
  4. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

If you do have an error coin, I beleive you have to pay extra to have it shown on the label.

NewCollectorRick likes this.
  5. NewCollectorRick

• I discovered VAMS prior to posting and could not find any record of it at all and I can see a row of stars but they are spread a lot further apart than that of the obverse. I can also see a date possibly, letters maybe. I definitely see an arch of stars though. I may be calling it wrong or maybe its just not important.
    • I can't remember seeing this 1880s on any of the lists or by Google search at all. I will post pictures shortly. I took a ton so have to go through and pull out the good ones. I will edit some and make dark or light just to show the clash. Fingers crossed on this one. I need a good find

6. Sullysullinburg

Sullysullinburg Well-Known Member

It would be very helpful if you could post photos of the coins. There’s some people on this site who are very good at attributing VAMs that I’m sure could help.

7. SilverDollar2017

SilverDollar2017 Morgan dollars

Pics will help.

8. NewCollectorRick

I will list photos now but I'm going to create new thread since its been so long since I have been able to get back on. Not sure if that's how I should do this or if you all would get notified that I posted photos.

9. SilverDollar2017

SilverDollar2017 Morgan dollars

No need to create a new thread. Just post the pics in this thread.

10. NewCollectorRick

Okay. Sorry for the delay but I accidently deleted 3k+ photos from phone, trash and the cloud.
    So here they are. Looks like a few places are doubled as well. Won't even mention them and see if it's noticed. If not then I know the answer. I know you don't need so many photos but every photo shows different angles of light so you can see more from the field. Normal first. 0815181926_Burst01~2.jpg 0815181931a_HDR~2.jpg 0815181932b_HDR~3.jpg 0815181934_HDR~3.jpg 0815181932a_HDR~2.jpg 0815181935_HDR~2.jpg 0815181935a_HDR~2.jpg 0815181936a.jpg 0815181937.jpg 0815181939~2.jpg

11. NewCollectorRick

12. NewCollectorRick

Thanks for the info. So, I am at the mint mark positioning of the lit. It seems I'm shifted left and tilted left right? The date also looks like a far or very far? or am I off to a horrible start?

13. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

Honestly, 1880-S is not a good place to start VAMming. There is no variation in the date position only doubling of the date and it is very common with most being very minor. Your images would need to be sharper than you've posted to even begin to attribute that part of it. You mention there is doubling but not what features are, I suggest checking the listings to see if it shows up in any of the descriptions. The only close up of the mint mark is very over lit and blurry so I can not tell if there is any doubling on the mint mark. All in all it would be very difficult to figure out the VAM number of this 1880-S with no smoking gun attributes such as the over-date obverse dies.
    There is no sign of any clashing on this coin. I'm not sure what you were thinking is clashing but there is a very good tutorial on it in the 101 section of VAMworld.

14. NewCollectorRick

What are the stars and stuff seen on the reverse? I am green at all of this so I know this is a bad road to go down. I don't do Morgan's on a regular. I'm still searching my pennies and starting with easier errors.

Thanks for the info. I still enjoyed reading into it. I ordered a 3rd coin scope so ill have better photos soon.

Draft saved Draft deleted