Morgan purchase 1879-S

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Joe Campbell, May 21, 2022.

1. Joe Campbell

Joe Campbell Well-Known Member

I don’t collect Morgan’s so every time I buy one it’s a bit a crap-shoot. Picked up an 1879-S rev 3 yesterday. The obverse is a little baggy but the reverse is excellent. Both sides are well mirrored but again the reverse is nicer than the obverse.

Paid $50 which seemed fair but probably not a steal but I don’t really know fair market for Morgan’s. Any thought on the price paid are appreciated.

Thanks for looking.

CDD267F9-FFDA-492D-B56B-E9B673C86662.png 819E8660-0F7A-4E15-9045-C8D586A1D662.png

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

Nice coin at a fair market price I think.

Joe Campbell likes this.
  4. Dynoking

Dynoking Well-Known Member

Joe,
    Some suggestions. If you are not sure of your buying skills post here first for opinions before you buy. For fifty bucks you didn't do too bad. I would have suggested you look for a better quality (less baggy) coin. It is more about the hunt than the capture. For the same money or a few dollars less you could find a cleaner AU58 which may be actually in better shape than this MS60 you found. Or if you wanted to stay MS upping the budget to $65 could have bought you a cleaner MS63 (raw). Always remember to buy the best quality coin you can afford. If the coin isn't everything you wanted - pass. There are literally hundreds of thousands of Morgans out there. The right coin at the right price will come along to those who are patient.
    When you post pictures take the extra step of cropping out the extra space around the coin.

CDD267F9-FFDA-492D-B56B-E9B673C86662.png
    It should look like this.
    Sit back, read, read, read, (about coins) post, ask questions, and enjoy the hobby.
    Best,

Richard

Joe Campbell likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted