Morgan Loathers Anonymous

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by jester3681, Apr 25, 2016.

1. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Take a look at the 1921 vs earlier years. The designs are slightly different, so, depending on how you define your type set, you might need two. ;)

Cascade likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. aronsamma

aronsamma Active Member

True, but it's a pretty loose definition. I'm just filling out a Capital Plastics set. There's only one hole for Morgans. Only one large cent too, strangely...

4. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

And don't forget 1 each of all the different reverse design types too ;)

Paul M. likes this.
  5. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

I believe they are in there. Originally they were a grading service but the original owners got out early and it became a promotional company. Actual pieces from when they were a grading service are not easy to come by.

I don't "loathe" Morgans, but I don't really care much for them. I will say though that a nice unc that isn't all bagged up can look nice. But you don't see a lot of those.

And I will say they are a LOT nicer than Peace dollars.

The real problem with Morgans is that they are just so COMMON! Go to any show and see all the "Rare coin dealers" with table after table after table of Morgans. (Where are the RARE coins?)

6. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

"Liberty" as a mounthbreathing underage dilettante looking like she just staggered out of bed on the afternoon after one of Gatsby's parties, and an eagle which could just as easily be a starving pigeon, a seagull or a tulip which forgot to bloom, surrounded by "rays, we need lots of rays" and token foliage, all of which appears to be oozing from the fields rather than rising above them.

Nothing screams "we only did this because they told us to" like a Peace Dollar.

They're striking when boldly lustrous, but only with the same incongruity as a freshly-waxed Yugo. And just as rare.

7. ReaperRuler

ReaperRuler Resident Numismatist

8. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Perhaps Morgans suffer from a bad case of here, there and everywhere. Even though I am a fan and a collector, I wish part of the space dedicated to them at coin shows would be filled by other issues. Morgans aren't all I collect -- along with a jillion other collectors.

9. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Despite my advocacy, I haven't bought a Morgan since - I think - January of 2012.

10. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

I just saw this thread. Change the name to Morgan loathers loud and proud and sign me up!

Paul M. and Santinidollar like this.
  11. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

This has got to be one of the bests posts I've ever read on any forum ;)

12. Rushmore

Rushmore Coin Addict

For all you Morgan loathers, at Wall Drug in the saloon there is a counter full of Morgan dollars.

13. swish513

swish513 Penny & Cent Collector

I don't own a Morgan, don't like them (the worst US coin design, IMO), but I am looking for one to add to my Type set. Without toning (damage). They only fill a hole, IMO.

14. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

I don't like Morgan dollars either. It's the reverse really. Just awful. I don't mind the obverse as much, but I find Liberty's cap to be too elaborate.

15. joecoincollect

joecoincollect Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm probably wrong about saying that. It's mostly because it's unfamiliar territory for me but I'm sure there's meat there.

16. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

image.jpeg image.jpeg Which do you prefer? To me it's the trade dollar hands down

17. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Do I gotta choose bill... Trade is just a deconstructed morgan after a night of hard partying anayway :p

18. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

I
    I think it actually may be the other way around

*wolf7* and Santinidollar like this.
  19. Jason Hoffpauir

Jason Hoffpauir Avid Coin Collector

I personally love the Morgan Dollars; I collected them once long ago...hundreds of them. I sold them all except my favorite dozen or so which are currently at NGC for grading. I will post a thread with the grades on (6) various date Morgan's and (1) French Gold coin. I think that overall, the Morgan Dollar has been so overly exposed in every forum of every coin related site that we, in general, have become desensitized to Morgan Silver Dollars. I will always love naturally toned Morgans; albeit the prices can get out of this solar system...but hey, people will pay for them so be it. IMHO, collect what makes you happy; not what is popular or the most trending coin at the moment.

20. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

21. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

I've never liked the Morgan design much, the obverse is just so-so to me. And they made millions of them to prop up the mining industry, most of which sat in bags for decades. No real history there, for me. The ones I like are circulated, F-VF, never cleaned, that actually had a role in commerce. As for the toners, I prefer the richly toned ones stored in albums for many years. They give up their secrets to patient examination under different lighting conditions. And they are much more affordable!

Paul M. likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted