Morgan Hoard

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Nathan401, Aug 30, 2016.

1. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Bambam8778, Paul M. and Seattlite86 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

That is interesting. According to an internet article Gene Henry "memorized the VAM book."

4. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Gene Henry was a big time dealer that passed away in 2014. I wonder if the bag was picked over and replaced with lesser 84o's

Seattlite86 likes this.
  5. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Pretty cool, but I agree that it was likely picked over.

6. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

If I'm going to plunk down $42/5, why the devil should I have to pay shipping? The bag has probably been looked through. Anyway........I don't have $42/5 to plunk down. If I had that much discretionary 'jing', I'd spend it somewhere else.

charlietig likes this.
  7. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Agreed. Just thought it was neat. I own a few of the NGC Gene Henry Morgans. Nice coins.

green18 likes this.
  8. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

By Gene himself. Of that, there is no doubt. :)

Seattlite86 likes this.
  9. ddddd

ddddd Member

I agree with the rest that it has likely been looked through already.

There are some nice coins from his Hoard that are already certified. I used to own this one, which might have sat in a bag at some point:

IMG_8240.JPG

10. charlietig

charlietig Well-Known Member

Toning = drool :hungry: :D

ddddd likes this.
  11. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

There are more VAMs than Sheldon varieties of large cents and Overton varieties of Bust half dollars... for the first three Morgan dates.

12. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Yes, but the majority of them have been identified since the last Edition of the Encyclopedia was published in 1991, and Mr. Henry' knowledge was based on a much earlier version. I don't think it an insurmountable task; I would be surprised if there weren't multiple VAMmers out there who could identify a couple thousand of them on sight. There are some really_impressive intellects involved in the effort.

Cascade likes this.
  13. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

I know I would've!

14. joecoincollect

joecoincollect Well-Known Member

Last time I checked, Brilliant Unc meant ms 63. So are we to believe the bag is full of these? And if the bag was assembled by a dealer, as stated, then of course it was 7cherry picked. Seems like a lousy deal to me. If you're paying about 40-45 each, and several coins could be damaged (rim dents, deep questionable scratches, etc), you're probably not going to be too happy once you factor in bullion values for some of the coins you bought. Just my opinion of course, but I'd rather see what I'm buying if another collector or dealer went through the coins

15. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Then again, you could go with 'Premium Quality BU', by an un-named dealer (but ya gots a hint if you look at the coin tabloids) and wind up with AU sliders.........

charlietig and joecoincollect like this.
  16. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

I'm thinking it was a 60s treasury release bag

17. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Somehow I think there a lot of more sensible offerings than this one.

Seattlite86 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted