Morgan Grades and values

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by mrbrklyn, Jul 31, 2012.

1. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

I see everyone hates this coin.

4. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

That's a beauty Ruben. MS-65, I wouldn't venture a value because I really don't understand the high markups on toned Morgans.

5. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

They are so common at Coin shows that I forget how much I like Morgans.

6. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

I'm just glad that I put that series to bed before the prices went through the roof. I do still get coins to upgrade the set from time to time when they catch my eye. I can't help it, and my shrink was no help either.

7. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

My Grandfather used to send the kids GSA CCs when i was about 9 years old. At about 16 I sold them all for about 24 dollars each or less. I lost complete interest in coins. He was so spot on about those, but I had no idea.

I'm not a series collector, but even so, I could never imagine trying to collect the entire series.

8. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Luckily, my great grandfather did most of the work for me. When I inherited the family collection it was about 80% complete including the vast majority of the key dates. He was even nice enough to plug one of the holes with a spare AU 93-S. I traded that coin for almost every coin that I was missing at the FUN show one year. I still need the 1895, but it is a bit out of my range for now.

9. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

price of the 93-s has gone through the roof

10. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

11. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

64/65 Nice coin :thumb:

12. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

Nice. From the picture on dark background (hard to tell, as the coin is reflecting some of the background) looks like a 65 to me. Very nice!

13. Morgandude11

WHen I sold my complete set, the 93s had gone up over 150%. My 89cc that I still have has almost tripled in value since I bought it. Key date Morgans have really exploded in recent years. Expect the 81CC and the 85CC to shoot through the roof, with their already high values and low mintages.

14. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

value?

15. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

the background is make believe...

16. BUncirculated

$75-$170

17. Morgandude11

That is a decent range. Probably more like $100-125 retail.

18. BUncirculated

That was the range for the 64/65 grade I posted before.

$75 for 64, and $170 for 65.

19. Morgandude11

We are in total agreement then.:) I have seen really gorgeous 64s go for $100, and some toned or almost PL 65s go for close to $250, but otherwise,you have it spot on!

20. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

My SWAG is MS66.

Hello Ruben,

Is this your coin? I like it a lot. Providing it has some flash & brightness in hand my guess is higher than MS65.

Is it your coin?

21. BUncirculated

There was one monster toned 65 I saw someone lay out $375 for and that was because I think the buyer lacked haggling experience and could have bought it for maybe $280 if they had that experience. The coin was just grossly over-priced, IMO.

Draft saved Draft deleted