Morgan Doubled 9 & O?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by capthank, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I think every coin will show doubling at 500x. I can only imagine what could be found at twice that. Strike that-I don't want to know.

capthank likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. capthank

capthank Well-Known Member

Thanks. I attached a pic I took through the microscope. It's not very good but I thought the suggestion to do so was just pulling my leg but it works. I will take it to coin club Thursday for their input. I missed the areas you spotted so thanks again. I am now going through all of my Morgans for VAM's and have already found a profile doubled and is listed as a VAM. I have a lot of studying ahead of me but thoroughly enjoy looking more closely at the details of a coin. It has many similarities to the listed VAM's.

Attached Files:

4. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

I think what you might be mistaking for a doubled date could possibly be -
    Pullaway toning & here is an example of this 20181204_194248.jpg
    I dont see any evidence of an actual doubled die in your microscope shot

5. capthank

capthank Well-Known Member

Thanks. I am taking it to our coin club and will let you know. Now that I have spotted a few more VAM's I have about 50% belief that it is doubled. I use a hand held 50X microscope and if I tilt or move in and out the doubled areas still look doubled. New at this so thanks for your input and example.

6. Bud1 Wilson

Bud1 Wilson Well-Known Member

I am all ready confused and now you tell me this, running rug rats, I will have to have another root beer to settle Bud down...Thanks Beer lover...

Draft saved Draft deleted