Featured Morgan Dollars and Capital Plastics Holders

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by johnmilton, Sep 14, 2019.

1. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

Before there were slabs, there were Capital Plastics holders. They provided excellent protection for the coin. There were open stock items and custom made holders. The custom holders could be ordered with specific sizes for the openings and custom lettering. I used to have custom made holders all of my top coins.

Here are a couple of "open stock" holders for Morgan dollars. The first was for the varieties of 1878. It in interesting to note that the 1878, Reverse of '79 dollar was included in this set.

1878 Morgan Dollars O.jpg 1878 Morgan Dollars R.jpg

Here is the 1878, Reverse of 1879 dollar, which should have been included in this set.

1878 Dol Rev 79 R.jpg 1878 Dol Rev 79 O.jpg

Here is an "All Mints" collection. An extra spot was added to show the obverse.

All Mints Morgan Dollars O.jpg All Mints Morgan Dollars R.jpg

I have never been a big Morgan Dollar collector. I have a Proof for my type set, these two sets and that's it. These sets provde a bit history for the Morgan Dollar which was never popular when it was minted, except in the Western states.

GoldFinger1969, Puckles, TIF and 17 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. CircCam

CircCam Victory

I love how coins look in the CP holders... getting them in there without manhandling them is the tricky part. ECE229D9-DCC3-4098-9AAB-5C576C9E9B17.jpeg 60688263-CB72-41BA-A42E-17029F2799CC.jpeg

GoldFinger1969, Puckles, TIF and 15 others like this.
  4. serafino

serafino Well-Known Member

Does Capitol Plastics still offer a custom series where you can order sizes and engravings ?

5. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Yes they do and will do custom work

serafino likes this.
  6. Nicole1038z

Nicole1038z New Member

7. JeffC

JeffC Go explore something and think a happy thought!

@johnmilton , when you ordered custom made ones, how did you convey what you wanted? Did you have to send in a sketch? Also, did Capitol send you a "prototype" first for your approval? How was the order and approval process before email attachments?

serafino likes this.
  8. serafino

serafino Well-Known Member

Thanks for asking that question, I was wondering myself how it works and the price they charge.

JeffC likes this.
  9. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

You could send sketches of the holders you wanted to Capital. They had pricing system where you paid so much per square inch of holder space, so much for each letter for whatever words you wanted and so much for each custom drilled hole to a specified size. I usually order the hole slightly on the small side used the fitting tool to enlarge it the exact size of the coin.

Most of the time I ordered the standard 3 inch by 3 inch holder and ordered the hole for a specific size specified the words on the holder.

JeffC and serafino like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted