Morgan dollar, the key date, won’t holder!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by wood_ster, Jul 12, 2019.

1. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

I agree with having NCS take a crack at it. The little die markers used to authenticate a 93-S aren't going to show up with the corrosion, but might after it's removed. No real downside here, since you didn't pay anything for it.

4. wood_ster

wood_ster Active Member

I first submitted to ngc - I also tried to have then ‘conserve’ it - they would do neither.

Pcgs wouldn’t grade it either

I included the photo of the ‘body bags’ the coin came in from both companies.

I want to address how I found it!! I am a treasure hunter with a metal detector. Oh my other hobbies have taken a backseat, snowboarding, mountain biking, gardening, rock hounding, all I wanna do is metal detect!

I found my first silver coin on the beach, at an old ferry Landing in the Puget Sound. It was a Mercury dime. Since last year, I have found about 200 silver coins on the beach. And thousands upon thousands of non-silver coins, and other Relics. Some beaches are good. Some beaches are bad. Sometimes erosion will put new dirt on top of old dirt. Sometimes erosion exposes old dirt, where every coin is old. The tides fluctuate 15 vertical feet. That means if there is a gentle grade to the slope of the beach, a half mile of beach can be exposed between a high and a low tide.

I don’t just randomly metal detext on beaches. I Metal detecting underneath dock that of been used for 130 years. Actually docks that were created 130 years ago, and then abandoned. I don’t know what the ocean swallows. I just know what it does not swallow. And what it does not swallow is what I dig up underneath my coil. So that’s how a guy with a metal detector can scoop up silver dollars in the salt water beaches

masterswimmer, Seattlite86 and Qsins like this.
  5. JCro57

JCro57 Making Errors Great Again

Sorry. Very, very suspect here, including your story. Not buying it at all.

HAB Peace 28 2.0 likes this.
  6. wood_ster

wood_ster Active Member

As a figure of speech it’s “unbelievable“

But I am very sincere, and would like to continue getting feedback from the community. Thank you for your concern

7. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

It looks fake to me. Could just be the extent of the crust and corrosion, though.

8. ilmcoins

ilmcoins Well-Known Member

I am in the not authentic group here. What does it weigh? As stated earlier it doesnt matter if it is 90% silver as many fakes are.

9. Mike Thorne

Mike Thorne Well-Known Member

That's what I would be afraid would happen. Removal of any of the outer layer of crud would at the same time remove the key details. I once had an 1864 L Indian cent with maybe XF details. It was black like it had been in a fire. Eventually I succumbed to the temptation to improve the coin, got rid of the top layer and found that I had gotten rid of the "L" at the same time. Fortunately, I didn't have much in the coin. Leave it alone and marvel at your good fortune to find it.

wood_ster likes this.
  10. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

I imagine the weight is close enough that neither grading service was able to conclude it was counterfeit by the weight alone.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  11. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Next time with the 1864 IHC. remember what David Hall of PCGS said "All 1864-L Indian cents have a pointed bust on Ms. Liberty, while the no Ls have a rounded bust. So sometimes low grades are designated (correctly) as Ls even if you can't really see the L." https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1864-1c-l-ribbon-bn/2079

I have used this to cherry pick 1864 IHC and since there is an L there, one can often spot it.

Jim

Seattlite86 likes this.
  12. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Wood_ster, please do not take the comments of possible fakes personally. Aliexpress , until recently had 90% silver copies ( with no "Copy" stamp) on them for a couple of dollars over the silver cost. They were and some are on places like Etsy type sales sites. The crust looks odd for sea salt water as there usually is more corrosive action on the surfaces, but we just see photos. Did you ask the TPGs specifically what they saw, did they think them fake or just too damaged, many members have had conversations with them over questions such as your no grade. Jim

wood_ster likes this.
  13. JCro57

JCro57 Making Errors Great Again

My concern is the OP's story is too unbelievable. Everything from how many silver coins he finds, to finding ultra-rare examples, to where he goes, to how much he said the tide moves.

HAB Peace 28 2.0 and wood_ster like this.
  14. wood_ster

wood_ster Active Member

I would have loved to have a conversation with the two tpgs I have sent it to, but it is my first submission too, so I didn’t know I could do that! I wonder if I could still get some info from them, it’s only been a month since pcgs submission.

The nature of the patina is right in line with how far ‘up’ on the tideline is was found. Also, the variables of a saltwater silver coin are many - fresh water rivulets,
    Or ajacent metal, like brass or railroad spikes will make each coin different. And of course, how far below the mean low tide line a coin is recovered. I’ll restrain from posting a smattering of saltwater silver coins, but I assure you it’s a heck of a fun time to them!

I am wary of modern counterfeits, but the coin wasn’t gleaned from a flea market or found in a tot lot.

To shore up my account- other coins from the same beach are - 4 large Canadian cents, a holed Victoria dime, a Washington quarter, 1940s, and a couple nice gold rings. The targets I don’t report into forums, or submit to coin authentication are many. Like garbage and nails.

I have had the coin in the hands of several coin dealers, and one of them sent to pcgs w his last batch. I did the ngc submission myself. Anyways, more questions, I am happy to answer them.

15. funnycoins

funnycoins no strike, no balls,no outs. Just give me an hour

16. wood_ster

wood_ster Active Member

Is that what I said?

Johndoe2000$ likes this.
  17. funnycoins

No i'm sorry. however Dr. Wiles asked for a die markers for him to follow from
    a submission. PLEASE call your TPG Customer Service or speak to their Supervisor about your failure to include an addendum. Raise enough h e dbl. hockey sticks and you may be able to fax or email one over. Both TPS will bend over backward for its customers. good luck

wood_ster likes this.
  18. funnycoins

@wood_ster I have found different chances to speak to both TPG and ask for the chief grader. It may take a supervisor or 2 but hold your ground to speak with the boss. There should be a file concerning your coins for them to access. again best of luck

wood_ster likes this.
  19. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

Am I the only one that thinks it looks like a contemporary counterfeit. The color, the fact it doesnt appear silver, and the missing layers of metal on the surface. It just looks the part for a contemporary counterfeit. Heck of a coincidence that it is an 1893 S though.

20. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

You could have a lot of devious fun throwing Chinese 1889-CC and 1893-S dollars around where people metal detect.

21. funnycoins

Draft saved Draft deleted