Morgan dollar, the key date, won’t holder!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by wood_ster, Jul 12, 2019.

1. wood_ster

wood_ster Active Member

Hello group!

I’ll start w a few pics, and a little back story.

I was so lucky. I am so happy. Is the universe playing a trick on me!? I found this silver dollar a few days after digging my 1879-cc dollar. This 1893-S was found under an old pier on the beach in a lumber / fishing town on the Puget sound.

Ngc and pcgs do not want to holder it as genuine. I’d like this key date Morgan in a holder just Incase someone other than me needs to turn it into cash someday.

Anyone think ANACS would work with me here!?

Also, I wanted to show you pics, so you can dream big too ;)

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

@wood_ster

In that condition, I would have submitted it to NGC for conservation (first) and certification afterwards. Granted, NGC may still have considered it unsuitable for authentication, but at least the coin would look a little better, and you wouldn't be out that much money in the process.

Chris

4. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

5. HoledandCreative

HoledandCreative Well-Known Member

Take it to a local coin shop or show and offer it for sale or show, whatever. Have someone with one of those x-ray guns tell you what metals coin is made of. Some dealers charge to use it because the guns are expensive. From the pictures, it looks like lead but that is what I see. Save your money until you know what it is made of.

6. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Cool find! It may even after a restoration be hard to identify which die pairing it is. And thus real or fake.
    @messydesk

7. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Supporter! Supporter

Looks encrusted from being in the water and sand. Have you tried a long acetone bath and then a toothpick to see if you can remove any of it?

8. wood_ster

wood_ster Active Member

I tried for ngc conservation, they said no.

I am basically assuming that since the crust is so thick, they can’t double confirm it. Which sucks, because I’m pretty sure it’s genuine, and I would like a third party to confirm it! Oh well, I guess I’ll just be explaining it to my future family about ‘it's genuine ’ And to treat as such (the key date Morgan)

Just wanted to see if the coin talk community had any pointers or thoughts if another group, anacs perhaps, would holder it genuine?

9. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

I presume metal detecting?

Great finds!

10. TexAg

TexAg Well-Known Member

11. wood_ster

wood_ster Active Member

Yeah, on the beach with my metal detector! I had the mind to find a silver dollar that morning, and can’t believe it!

12. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I don't think you'll find any legitimate grading service that would authenticate it. In that condition, the only thing I would be likely to confirm is that it is round.

Chris

13. Bob Evancho

Bob Evancho Well-Known Member

Interesting coin. It looks silver where the scale is missing. If so, it appears to be similar to my 1893-S Type 2 with the slight slant to the right for the S. That said, I wish the expensive rust scalers or lasers would work on silver coins. I have many of them to remove scale from. I have watched a friend soak his flood found coins in CLR for weeks with other silver coins and tumble them. Much of the scale finally came off after a few weeks. It has to be a gentle tumble. I've watched him tumble other crusted coins with hard plastic pellets in a rock tumbler. Then he gets a nylon brush or tooth brush and does a decent job of removing the softened crust. All I can say is good luck.

Seattlite86 and wood_ster like this.
  14. wood_ster

wood_ster Active Member

I would Perfer to keep it ‘as is’ - the crust in dug saltwater coins actually holds the details, and if removed, it can smooth out a coin. This dollar doesn’t seem as bad, but I’m scared!

Phillip Davis likes this.
  15. HAB Peace 28 2.0

HAB Peace 28 2.0 The spiders are as big as the door

Wow! I wonder what the odds of finding a coin like that in the ocean is?

16. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

This a tough one. If you remove the crust, there might not be much left. Sometimes things are so far gone that authentication is not possible.

buckeye73 and Seattlite86 like this.
  17. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I have a white metal, medal that has most likely been buried since the 60's or 70's. I dug it within the past 10.
    Anyways the hard soil took a pretty big flake off of the Obv. When I gave it a soak. The removed area was extremely porous.

Removing the crust would also lighten the coin and possible remove any kind of possible authenticity.

It is just such a cool find that I would want it the way it is.

That's a fun find.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  18. Bambam8778

Bambam8778 Well-Known Member

Whatever you decide to do with it in regards to authenticating it or preserving by whatever means you are able, (if you remember), tag me and let me know how you make out! I am really interested in this. Thanks.

19. JeffC

JeffC Go explore something and think a happy thought!

When a TPG can't certify a coin, do you get a refund?

20. calcol

calcol Supporter! Supporter

See if you can get in touch with Bob Evans, chief scientist for SS Central America hoard. His conservation lab is part of the PCGS complex. If anyone will know how to conserve the coin, he will.

Cal

Paul M. likes this.
  21. JCro57

JCro57 Making Errors Great Again

I am trying to wrap my head around how and why the key Morgan dollar was found under a salt water pier.

It doesn't look like it was there for decades upon decades in salt water. Certainly not since the late 1890s. Not even since the end of the Great Depression. And the tides would have most definitely shifted if further out, not be found under a pier since it was dropped as an unmolested coin.

I have to think someone found out it was fake and tossed it. Even if it tests 90% silver, I have quite a few fake Morgan and Trade dollars that are fake and 90% silver. Some even have some of the correct markers.

I don't know. I am leaning this is not genuine at all.

Draft saved Draft deleted