Morgan Dollar 1881-O Research

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by HawkeEye, Jun 2, 2017.

1. HawkeEye

HawkeEye 1881-O VAMmer

We have just posted our latest update to the study of the 1881-O Morgan Dollar at

http://www.1881o.com/2017-06.html

This month we are adding another 84 coins to the inventory including a number of toned examples. So the web site will be updated several times as we add these coins. When completed this will bring the inventory to almost 800 coins of all grades and VAMs.

If Morgan Dollar issues and research are in your area of interest we hope you enjoy the update.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Wow.

I've never seen an entire website built around a single date and mintmark like that. That is an incredibly deep dive into a single date. I'm impressed.

HawkeEye and Insider like this.
  4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I wonder when they go on sale?

Chris

5. Coliiin

Coliiin Member

Talk about dedication. Very outstanding efforts in creating that url.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. HawkeEye

HawkeEye 1881-O VAMmer

Probably never, they look like a good estate offset for our kids. Probably donate them to some organization with a deep numismatic interest.

The deep dive into a single date/mint has proven to be both interesting and, so far, an inexhaustible source of study. There was a lot happening during Reconstruction in New Orleans.

7. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

I'm always amazed and impressed with your dedicated study of '81-O. Keep up the good work! :)

8. Ike Skywalker

Ike Skywalker Well-Known Member

Whoa! I'm speechless. A truly remarkable feat! I love interesting and unique approaches to collecting such as this. I appreciate your dedication. The 1881 Morgans are my favorite, with 1881-S at the top and 1881-O a close second. Saving this site for sure.

9. HawkeEye

HawkeEye 1881-O VAMmer

The 81-S is a good choice for research because they are plentiful and as I remember many of the upper grades are available for study at reasonable prices. I picked the 81-O for a number of reasons, but I felt like 1881 and the Reconstruction period would be interesting research. So far I have not been able to save enough pennies to get an MS66, but maybe one day.

10. IBetASilverDollar

IBetASilverDollar Well-Known Member

Looking through all your coins, this one stood out as interesting. Don't think I've ever come across a coin in low grade like this with toning like this. This is a Fine 15:

[​IMG]

Very cool.

11. HawkeEye

HawkeEye 1881-O VAMmer

Thanks, I did not include that one in the toned collection because of grade. I made an arbitrary decision to cut the collection off at AU50 (not a hard stop) because there is a point where dirt and wear obscures the real color. But you are definitely right in that retention of any color at that grade is unusual and I wonder what the coin might have looked like earlier in life.

12. HawkeEye

HawkeEye 1881-O VAMmer

Thanks and I hope you found the page with all the collection on it where as of yesterday I have 734 coins arranged by grade, and I am adding another 20 today and tomorrow. I don't believe there is a better page to see a comparison of grading as performed by PCGS. We all like to complain about grades we disagree with, but truthfully when you see them all side-by-side patterns emerge that speak to their consistency.

13. HawkeEye

HawkeEye 1881-O VAMmer

Well we just finished the second of our two updates for the month and we now have all 754 coins up on the site. There are a great many others in the pipeline, but for now a little rest is in order. http://www.1881o.com/2017-06.html

Ike Skywalker likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted