Morgan dollar 1878 CC

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by MahiDearest, Apr 19, 2020.

1. MahiDearest

MahiDearest New Member

Hi guys,

I have a small Morgan collection which has some duplicates. I was thinking of trading and selling the dups to "try" to complete the set. Most of these Morgans are in UNC condition or better but I've never had one of them graded.

Would appreciate your opinion on the grade of this 78 CC as it's fairly typical of my dups.

I'm also curious to know if it's worth sending this off to NGC or PCGS to be stabbed. Or maybe the better question is at what grade does it become worth the slab.

Thanks in advance for your opinion.

20200419_223656.jpg 20200419_222220.jpg

Inspector43 and longarm like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Hard to tell what it grades due to the lighting, but I’d spitball it at 63. That would put it at about $350 or so raw.

Inspector43 likes this.
  4. SamuelFred1

SamuelFred1 I Guess I'm Kind Of a Decent Member at This Point?

Is that the best 1878-CC you own? If so, impressive. If not, also impressive.

Inspector43 likes this.
  5. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

Welcome to Coin Talk.
    Nice Coin for sure. Value is the main reason to slab a coin. IMO. The grade of a coin is not always a factor nor reason to have a coin slabbed. I think your coin would do well in resale if it was slabbed. Mintmark is the value on that coin.
    Getting anything slabbed at this time will require patience on your part.

6. MahiDearest

MahiDearest New Member

Thank you for the responses. I'm still learning this hobby while trying to teach my kids about collecting (and not spending) coins. I have mostly collected pocket change and sifted the occasional bank roll in my younger years. The morgans were gifted to me 30 years ago and remained locked away in tubes.

Paul - thanks for your value estimate. I've never photographed a coin before and agree it needed more light. My flash was leaving a bright reflection off the coin so I will experiment with other light sources here at home.

Paul M. likes this.
  7. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I'd be patient and have the coin graded in due time. It's nice looking. Probably about$250-$300 as is.

8. furham

furham Good Ole Boy

Definitely worth the cost of grading. I agree with @Paul M. On the raw value. If slabbed I can see it going MS64 and worth quite a bit more.

Draft saved Draft deleted