Morgan “Price Guide” movement

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by bradgator2, Jun 6, 2021.

1. For what its worth,Sold common date ms-61,-63 GSA cc,s at local coin show friday for $325 each ,These are not rare.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Millard

Millard Coindog

:shy:(look of envy)

OldSilverDollar and Copper lover like this.
  4. ddddd

ddddd Member

Both of you are partially right. Toned Morgans have been increasing well before 2020 but common date untoned MS 63-MS 67 Morgans did see their low point in early 2020. Besides toners, I would look through auctions for common MS 65s and late 2019/early 2020 saw these go as low as ~$85. Even nicer blast white examples could be had in the $100-$110 range. This was well below levels seen 5-10 years ago. Now the market has recovered and generic MS 63-67 pieces are all up (I'm seeing MS 65s in the $135-$155 range with nicer examples another $15-$25 more).

OldSilverDollar and bradgator2 like this.
  5. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Ya couldn't be more wrong if ya tried - I've been following them a whole lot longer than that ! And so has PCGS.

https://www.pcgs.com/PCGSMedia/graphs/mpeace10graph.gif

https://www.pcgs.com/PCGSMedia/graphs/mpeaceallgraph.gif

Both graphs clearly show that the price trend for Morgans were declining since 2008. Now granted, they tried to make a comeback in 2018, but it was short lived and they fell even lower than their previous low. But they have been recovering since Jan 2020.

OldSilverDollar likes this.
  6. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

I don’t rely on graphs. I rely on realized sales over the years, and how much I have made, selling Morgans. Doug, you are the collector without any coins, so how would you know what the real marketplace is like?

OldSilverDollar and baseball21 like this.
  7. GDJMSP

It's pretty easy, all ya gotta do is watch the market. And the funny thing is, you don't have to own a single coin to do that.

8. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

Glad you enjoy watching the market. I am actively involved in participating in it, as opposed to vicariously observing it. :)

OldSilverDollar and baseball21 like this.
  9. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

Silver price rising and inflation. Our gov has been spending money like drunken sailors. EVERYTHING is going up. The value of our dollar goes down with every garbage stimulus payment.

OldSilverDollar and Copper lover like this.
  10. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

Greysheet is the newsletter of coin prices typically used by dealers as a baseline. 99% of my buying and selling at dealers and shows involves the CDN prices.

https://www.greysheet.com/

dlts and OldSilverDollar like this.
  11. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Tusky Ranger, To give up two Morgan's to the Scouts was a very nice gesture. Thanks for the reply. Be safe.

Tusky Ranger and OldSilverDollar like this.
  12. bradgator2

bradgator2 Well-Known Member

I have a 1921 Peace graded MS63. Check out the latest 10 years according to PCGS, and more importantly..... the last month:
    1921.jpg

13. GDJMSP

You can find all kinds of things for specific, given coins. But the trend for Morgan and Peace dollars in general, taken as a whole, that's a whole other animal.

14. charley

charley Well-Known Member

That opinion applies to any item of any nature at any given time, and over time, and is not indicative of any trend direction at all.
    "In general, taken as a whole" is used (and usually overused and incorrectly) in every commentary on comparison concerning any subject, be it literature, accounting, law, medicine, health, geology, etc. It is a subject filler, and is of no finite value in determination of fact. It is gobbledygobbledness.

15. OldSilverDollar

OldSilverDollar Unknown Member

So many want to pair the old ones with new ones, but not enough to go around. people might be disappointed if the 2021 peace dollar does not get released this year to go with the real ones.

16. GDJMSP

But in this case it refers to the graphs from the best known TPG there is that track the daily values of Morgan and Peace dollars as a whole. So no, what you're saying does not apply in this situation.

17. charley

charley Well-Known Member

There is always a 'but".

As to application, ' In general, taken as a whole" is as convoluted as "In terms of" as gbbbledygobbledness. Both mean nothing and relay nothing. A close third is 'in this case" which is silly escapism language used to infer correctness of position/opinion.

Another silly and useless usage is adding the word "So" at the beginning of sentence. It is basically the same type of escapism language used to convey superiority of opinion.

I am wrong. I can live with that.

18. Atarian

Atarian Well-Known Member

As a former drunken sailor let's not be bashing them...

19. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

I thought it was just early coppers and thought the market peaked at the time of the Holmes Collection sale in 2009. But from your comment, it was across most of the coin market. And now it's coming back. Good News now that my buying is limited and selling becomes an undesirable necessity. Duplicates first!

20. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

As I continue to build my collection, I dislike rising prices. My challenge is ponying up for a coin that last year sold for so much less, even though that's the current price of the coin.

21. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

I put myself in debt into 2022 after several once in a lifetime opportunities. I am not sorry, but I have to eventually catch up.

I managed to sell some silver rounds, but I haven't been able to convince myself to part with any copper at this point.

Draft saved Draft deleted