More uninspring Miltary commems in the Pipeline

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by mrbrklyn, Jul 3, 2012.

1. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

You can join the army, send a care package, join a volunteer corps for Afganastan.... just off the top of my head.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Yeah, so what is wrong with these two coins?

Attached Files:

4. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

They are boring and mundane and misrepresent America

5. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I am all for supporting troops but again it gives me the willy's how similar such items are and the coins the Roman empire was striking near the end. A true power does not need to glorify war, they glorify life and liberty. War is a necessary evil, something we must do to be able to have liberty.

Maybe the problem with commemorative programs here in the US is the fact the group honored receives money. No one is against funding for USO, museums, and the like. I write a check to the USO every year in rememberence to the good work I enjoyed in Saudi and Kuwait.

However, if we changed the law to not make commemorative coins cash cows, maybe that would allow us the freedom to glorify life and liberty more. Just an idea.

I know this is just my political opinion, so I will drop it now. Sorry if my opinion is upsetting to anyone.

6. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

[​IMG]

this would make a much better coin design

7. CoinCollector14

CoinCollector14 New Member

I'll buy a proof set.:)

8. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Bastille day is July 14th.

9. treehugger

treehugger Well-Known Member

I don't have an issue with military-themed commemoratives. I would not purchase any, but I don't have an issue with them. What does strike me, though, as you have indicated before, is the percentage of them, relative to other possible themes, that have been minted over the past few years.

10. Evom777

Evom777 Make mine .999

I don`t care if Patton was only a four star general.....I would have been all over a commem. with Him on it. He was more than "blood & guts", He was a true student of history. If only Our so called leaders today could say the same.

11. windwalker

windwalker Member

I remember this period very well. It wasn't until the Vietnam Wall was erected that we were welcomed home like other soldiers. At that time we threw our own welcome home parade in DC.

We were treated better in Australia and Thailand than we were in our own country. People say that they were not against us just the war. That's pure poppycock.

However, to keep this relevant to the thread I wonder why MacArthur was selected for the gold coin and if there is plans to honor the Navy officers also who were awarded the five star rank?

I really don't think that we will ever see this rank awarded again. These men were really one time honorees who took us through some dark time.

12. Danr

Danr Numismatist

Current key- 1996-D Paralympic unc dollar coin: mintage of 14,497. I will be watching the unc dollar.

13. krispy

krispy krispy

I'm sure you will. :yes:

14. krispy

krispy krispy

So-called "mrbrklyn" should remember it correctly, as Brooklyn celebrates it every year on Smith Street in Brooklyn. It's a huge street party with lots of French people, Francophiles, foods and things to buy and enjoy. :thumb:

15. areich

areich America*s Darling

16. krispy

krispy krispy

That's the place And what the celebration there generally looks like.

17. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

This is from last year's Fête Française in the city where I live. http://www.duesseldorfer-frankreich-fest.de/gallerie/data/images1/14juli2011m_0045.jpg The Frankreich-Fest is three days, always on the weekend which is closest to the Quatorze Juillet (what you call "Bastille Day"). Great food, great music and other acts ... and, errm, I am sure that in one way or another it has something to do with military coins. ;)

Christian

18. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

And this celebrates the beginning of the French revolution?

19. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

20. Copper Head

Copper Head Active Member

21. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Looks a lot like boule or pétanque. :)

Christian

Draft saved Draft deleted