Featured More to this than meets the eye

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by TIF, Jan 15, 2018.

1. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

So what does the decoration on the body of the vessel represent?

It looks like there is a wire framework outlining various square panels around the vessel. Do the panels contain images, symbols, etc. Is the framework made from attached wire, or is it stone or pottery?

Are there analogous rectangular decorations on other vessels?

The canopic jars are decorated with figures and scenes, so are there figures and scenes inside the squares, there sure seems to be something.

I find the "mulberry" shaped pillows all these canopic jars are sitting on to be an interesting shape. Is this supposed to be a human brain or a very ripe mulberry?

OK, talk amongst yourselves and then let me know all the answers. :)

John

TIF likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Interesting! I hadn't come across that before. Perhaps the vessel is a stylized version of a sema tawy, representing the union of upper and lower Egypt?

from monteprama.blogspot.com
    [​IMG]
    to. sema-tawy , a composite sign that means union of the two lands (upper and lower Egypt), represented by the lotus (ger M26) and the papyrus (ger M15 = area of the Delta, lower Egypt) (1); b. the union sign (trachea + lungs?) (1); c. back of the statue of Senwosret I (c. 1961-1917 BC), with the sign union of the two lands (2); d. alabaster owl vase from the tomb of Tutankhamun (c. 1332 - 1323 BC, XVIII dynasty) (3) , composed by the sema-tawy sign, the sign for years , the sign ankh (life, power of life) and the sign for wasby domain. The whole composition, besides being finely elaborated, is readable as " the power of life and dominance support the union of the two lands in the years" (1).

Deacon Ray, Okidoki, TJC and 4 others like this.
  4. Theodosius

Double post...

5. AncientJoe

AncientJoe Well-Known Member

Uncanny: I just watched Short Circuit yesterday!

lordmarcovan likes this.
  6. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I'm talking amongst myself right now :D

There are two specimens listed in Dattari's original work. I typed the descriptions into Google Translate but the results weren't very satisfying, and the rubbings themselves show little supporting detail. My specimen is in the supplement at the end of D-S so there isn't a detailed description.

Pictures pencil rubbings of Dattari 286 and 287, from Dattari-Savio:

D-S-plates286-287.jpg

My coin, in Dattari-Savio supplement:

D-S-SupplementNeroOinochoe.jpg

Poole's reference (British Museum Alexandrian and Nomes holdings, published 1892; none in Christensen's more recent followup which lists additions to the collection since publication of the first book):

Poole Nero Oenochoe 6point8 gm.png

Dattari's description of coins 286 and 287:

Screen Shot 2018-01-16 at 9.05.07 AM.png

Google Translation of the reverse descriptions, which are imperfect:

286. Vase oenochoe right; above the three tyrsi lid? (so, Dattari says there is a lid. Hmm)

287. Similar; on the lid five uraei, above the front body, crown of horns, disk and feathers

How embarrassing. I should have included this information in the original post. However, I'm not sure he has it correct. Could the inverted teardrop-shaped protrusions be uraei? I guess they could be. I'd also overlooked a plate image in the original Dattari! Additional details can be seen. Are the decorations the same as on my coin? Hard to say.

Screen Shot 2018-01-16 at 9.35.44 AM.png

Looking at my coin again, might the large protrusion at the top (the end of the handle, presumably) be a uraeus?

7. LaCointessa

LaCointessa Well-Known Member

@TIF - i just clicked on your website link and had my mind blown! It is so beautifully done. Am I only just noticing something you have had up for a long while? It is perfect!

Edited to add- Is this thing a bird??!? A serpent god? I am lost and will watch from the sidelines.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
    TIF likes this.
  8. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Thanks, LaC! My website has been up for several years, and is at least a year behind in adding coins. A major update is needed. Every time I click on a coin I find a typo or copy/paste error or other mistake :oops:

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  9. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

This is pretty exciting to watch!

Your drawing is very convincing on what it could be. But, c'mon, the possibility it could also be this? Can't pass it up. ;)

Theodosius and TIF like this.
  10. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

Some say the following ancient item is a whistle, others assume it's a smoking filter pipe. If the second possibility is correct, then it might fit this interesting thread. fil 1.jpg fil2.jpg fil 3.png

11. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Sorry guys, late to the party. Been in New Orleans for the week.

@TIF My first thought was that it was an ancient Hand Crank Ice Cream Maker...

That is my story, and I am sticking to it. Yeah, my scholarly input... and yeah, years ago, we used to make parts for these...

upload_2018-1-17_15-45-39.png

12. Ed Snible

Ed Snible Well-Known Member

13. TIF

TIF Always learning.

14. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

I think that last post solves the mystery. Excellent detective work @TIF

15. TIF

TIF Always learning.

:D

I didn't compose museum inquiries today. My ISP went down very early this morning (widespread-- all 4 islands) and it just came back up. Sigh.

I'd really like to know if any museums have a vessel that looks like this one.

LaCointessa likes this.
  16. Okidoki

Okidoki Well-Known Member

Great looking coin, never seen this reverse.
    Interesting topic TIF.
    Maybe a gardentool 615B6853-CA45-470A-BB7E-A8AAC53FF452.jpeg

17. Theodosius

TIF, LaCointessa and AncientJoe like this.
  18. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Very fascinating thread, @TIF , and gorgeous coin. I can only chime in to answer one of your questions, but I can do so definitively.

It is an actual word in ancient Greek, οἰνοχόη, and it refers specifically to a vessel for taking wine from the mixing-bowl (κρατήρ; crater) and pouring it into cups.[1] It's an old word, being used in Hesiod's Works and Days (Hes.Op. 744), Thucydides' The Peloponnesian War (Th.6.46), and Euripides' The Trojan Women (E.Tr.820)

1. Henry George Liddell and Robert Scott. A Greek-English Lexicon, revised and augmented throughout by Sir Henry Stuart Jones with the assistance of Roderick McKenzie. Oxford. Clarendon Press. 1940.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  19. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

:muted:

IMG_2026.JPG

Johndakerftw, TIF, Okidoki and 3 others like this.
  20. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I think @Ed Snible nailed it! Nice work.

But what are the little "spiny" protrusions on top? One wonders.

I had to look that word up.

uraei

See also: uræi
    English
    Noun
    uraei
      1. plural of uraeus
    Anagrams
    (Hmm. Funny how the anagram is also ancient coin-related.)

OK, so for those who were as clueless as I was, "uraei" is plural for "uraeus", and that's the snakey (sacred asp, or cobra) protrusion seen in Egyptian statuary and art, as on King Tut's hat, here:

[​IMG]
    Wikimedia Commons

So this means that those could be little snake heads on top of the vase, or whatever you call it? Interesting!

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
    TIF, TypeCoin971793, Ryro and 5 others like this.
  21. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Draft saved Draft deleted